Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hungry kids
baby1at35 posted:
School is going well. I think the boys really adjusted easily and were ready for the routine. So far they both like their teachers.
Tre has lunch at 12:45 late lunch and Henry has lunch at 11:30 early lunch.
After school Tre is usually ok. I actually have him eat a small breakfast at home and he likes to eat breakfast at school too. So he can make it until 12:45 but poor Henry is starving when he gets home.
I do not want him to eat too many snacks as we have dinner but I have been giving crackers and cheese,apples with carmel, pb & j sandwich , granola bars.
I am seriously considering a really early dinner from here on out.
What time to you guys eat dinner ? And what time do your kids eat lunch at school?
Last year they ate basically at the same times so it was more "even".
Me (43) 2 busy boys 7 yrs and 6 yrs

kc_94920 responded:
We have always had dinner around 5 pm.

My kids are all early risers and have always had early bedtimes regardless of their age. They could never wait until 6:30 or 7 to eat and then stay up until 8:30/9:00. They just can't function on a schedule like that when they are up and ready to go by 6am every day. They have lunch from 12-1 at school and are ready for a pretty significant snack by 3:30 but are totally ready for dinner by 5:00, maybe 5:30, when/if I can hold them off until DH gets home.
KC~ Mady (10) Logan (7.5) and Coco (4.5)

Anon_4703 responded:
We have always had dinner later here. About 6:r0 or 7:00. After school snack is a protein shake with their meds. They go to group or therapy until 6:00 They are starving at dinner. The bad thing os we have bed shortly after dinner. They are up at 6 in the morning. Lunches start at 10:45 and go until 12:45 so snacks are important. Sometimes we also do cheese, fruit, crackers or PB&J with milk. Things with protein hold them better.

mrswhitecastle responded:
We usually eat dinner around 5:30. Bedtime has been pushed back until 8:00 since they are getting older. They eat lunch (or rather, are SERVED lunch, whether they eat it or not is another story) between 11:15 and 11:45. When they get home from school at 3:30, they usually get Nesquick mixed in with milk and Miralax. Since we are struggling with getting them to eat a decent lunch, I'm probably going to start a vitamin at snack time, too.
Emily (8) Elizabeth (6)

seeit2 responded:
We have dinner between 5-5:30. I let my kids snack in the afternoon but keep it plant-based as much as possible. Don't know when lunch is for DD yet but she dos not have much tolerance for long stretches between meals.

I'm glad you are off to a good start!
Esmerelda Supercalifragilistic (42) DD (6) DS (3) Just eat it, will ya

jlynnpaine responded:
We eat dinner at 5:30 and the girls are usually asleep by 7:00. They eat a snack between 2-4 depending on when DD2 napped.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
Last year, DS was in school from 11a to 2p. He would eat breakfast at home and lunch at school along with an afternoon snack. If my mom picked him up for therapy, she would have a snack of cheese, crackers, and juice ready in the car to eat on the way to and between therapies. If daycare picked him up, they would have a snack at her house. We eat around 5p most nights and DS is in bed by 8p.

Not sure how this year will work. He hasn't started yet but will be in school all day (9a to 3p) for the first time (he'll be in 1st grade). I called his school yesterday to confirm the times and was told a folder will come home with him the first week with information.
Pround mom of PJ (5) and Kylee (3).

laney0705 responded:
I think we are going to have to start having dinner around 5:30. Last year DS had lunch at 11:30 and DD at daycare had lunch around 12. DD would get a little snack (2 cookies) around 3:30. They are both usually starving by dinner time.

Since DH hours changed he is home by 2:30, he can have dinner ready by 5:30 the latest.
Me(43)DH(40)DS(7)DD(3)

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a Mom of two adorable munchkins. Crystal, 9-15-06, and Aiden, 5-12-10. My DH, Chad, is the light of my life, and helps try to keep me sane. :D...More

Helpful Tips

Re-enforce good counting techniques.
Use gold plastic coins to encourage counting. When the child does anything worthwhile or helpful give tokens and then ask the child how ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.