Skip to content
Hi
iocasta posted:
Its been a long time since I've been around. Life has been busy, which odd since I'm working at only 25% capacity at the office. My big news is that I'm going into semi-retirement at the beginning of next year. In that, I'll maintain my law license if I want to get back into things. I have spent this preparing myself for this change and to test whether I was ready for it. Life on the domestic front has been so much nicer with me to handle the home life. We are fortunate that we don't need my income and even without it our lifestyle won't change. So off to a new chapter in my life. It will be strange not to have an office to go to but I'll figure it out. Just means I'll volunteer even more at school.

Levi is doing really well academically. We have had some typical 7 year old boy behavioral issues like cutting up with his friends in class. He has been reading up a storm and I'm struggling to find books that the topic is age appropriate but challenging. He just finished Roald Dahl's The Witches, prior to that The BFG and is now burning through A Diary of a Wimpy kid. I think he'll try the Percy Jackson stories next. Any suggestions for other books?

I hope everyone else is doing well.

mrswhitecastle responded:
Hello! It's good to hear from you. Congrats on the semi-retirement.

I've found that as soon as the school & PTO find out you don't work outside the home, they can find lots of opportunities for you to stay busy!
Emily (8) Elizabeth (6)

baby1at35 responded:
Hi
Congrats on the semi retirement! Good for you!

We are doing fine. Henry broke his arm at the pumpkin patch.
He has a cast for 4 wks. We are on the countdown he gets it off right before Thanksgiving. He is bummed no PE or sports.
And it is his writing hand so a challenge at school. Poor kid.
Henry is doing well at school and found his new love Science!
Tre has caught up on reading. I am so happy as I agonized over summer school but it has done wonders and both boys loved it. They even asked to go again this summer.
I am busy at work getting handed projects taking me out of my comfort zone but I love it. I am still part time and hope to stay that for a bit. I forsee in the future a shift to full time.
The boys loved the wimpy kid do it yourself book. It is a book but they get to basically write their own stories in it as it asks questions. Pretty fun and a great keepsake.
We are working on the magic tree house books now. I can't remember which we have been reading but very good stuff.
Wimpy kid is our books of choice now.
Good to hear from you.
Me (43) 2 busy boys 7 yrs and 6 yrs

seeit2 responded:
Good to hear form you Steph. I have no book suggestions, sorry, we are reading all sorts of girlie princess books around here. And puppies, they are big too lol. Good luck with the semi-retirement. I have found, having gone back and forth from working to SAHM, that your opinions vary day-to-day about how great life is on either side of the fence. I find that if I exercise enough and eek out whatever time alone I can get, then the SAHM gig is a really beautiful one. But look out if I don't get enough of either of those thing. And Mrs WC is right - the PTA will see you coming.
Esmerelda Supercalifragilistic (42) DD (6) DS (3) Just eat it, will ya

seeit2 replied to baby1at35's response:
So sorry to hear about the arm! Casts are such a drag. At least he will be able to chow down for Thanksgiving unencumbered. Glad everything else is going well - I hope you continue to check in.
Esmerelda Supercalifragilistic (42) DD (6) DS (3) Just eat it, will ya

kc_94920 responded:
Great to hear from you. Congrats on the "semi-retirement". I said the same thing 10 years ago but have yet to really have the time (and energy) to jump back into the working world in even a part-time capacity.

Logan just finished The Witches as well and loved it almost as much as his older sister did. It is still one of her "top 5 best of all time books". Other fun books he's enjoyed earlier this year are The Magical Miss Plum, Freckle Juice and the first 3 or 4 of the Secret Agent: Jack Stalwart series, which are quick reads with minimal "meat" but exciting for boys.

He also a great non fiction story called a Boys Walk in the Wilderness (or something like that). This story was great for him and lead him into a new genre of books like My Side of the Mtn and Julie and the Wolves, both of which he really liked reading. Our current "read together" is The Hatchet which is pretty exciting as well.

I was/am so over the Whimpy Kid books (they were open and being read in my house for 2 years between Mady getting them and Logan finally reading them). I'm hoping the little one will skip them entirely but highly doubt I will be so lucky.

Oh and they also LOVE, LOVE LOVE the Wierd But True books. They are not really reading books but all of my kids, especially Logan, totally envelop the fun facts and tidbits of info that I buy them as soon as a new one comes out.

Both Mady and Logan started the PJ series but neither caught on before putting it down for something else. L tried really hard too as it's a very popular selection in his class.
KC~ Mady (10) Logan (7.5) and Coco (4.5)

laney0705 responded:
Great to hear from you. I don't get on often and most of the time just read posts. I hadn't seen you post in a long time and was wondering what happened. Glad it's all good news. That's great that you get to stay home, from all the SAHM I know they say it's a big adjustment. But one I'd gladly love to make

Don't have any book recommendations for you but all the other ladies suggestions sound great and gave me some good ideas. Ryder is an ok reader but I wish he would find a love for it like I do. I keep encouraging him to read and delve into the adventures he will find in books but it hasn't clicked yet.
Me(43)DH(40)DS(7)DD(3)

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, My name is Ashley I am a 25 year old SAHM. I have been married to my wonderful hubby Chris (27) for 7 years. We have 2 kids together Kaiden (5) an...More

Helpful Tips

Re-enforce good counting techniques.
Use gold plastic coins to encourage counting. When the child does anything worthwhile or helpful give tokens and then ask the child how ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.