Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
turkey sticker shock
seeit2 posted:
I've been pricing turkeys. We really go the organic humane route whenever possible and support a local farm for most of our poultry purchases. But they are charging $4.50 per pound for thanksgiving turkeys and the smallest one they have is 16 pounds. That's a $72 turkey! (and really too big for us). The grocery store has free-range organics (supposedly) at $2.99 lb so the same turkey would cost about $48. Or the generic grocery store turkey is - get this - $0.54 per pound. So their 16 pounder would cost $8.64. Really makes you wonder, doesn't it???

Are you guys getting ready for the holiday yet? It's just the four of us this year so I'm getting off easy.
Esmerelda Supercalifragilistic (42) DD (6) DS (3) Just eat it, will ya

tlkittycat1968 responded:
We go to my parents' for Thanksgiving since DH's parents are Jehovah's Witness and don't celebrate holidays.

I need to ask my mom if she wants us to bring anything.
Pround mom of PJ (6) and Kylee (4).

crunk05177 responded:
Wow those are some very different prices......I'd almost be scared to eat the regular turkey!

We go to my brother in laws house near Albany. Last year he fried the turkey which was AMAZING! This year he said he was going to do something different. Not sure what that is yet. I LOVE going there because it is low key....just the four of us, my father in law and brother and (new) sister in law. Plus they do a GREAT job of checking labels for peanuts and tree nuts which is always such a great help!
Me (30), DH (32), DS1 - Michael (7) and DS2 - Nathan (4 - severe peanut allergy and an egg allergy)

laney0705 responded:
We are going to a friends house again this year. Her mom is coming in so she wants to have it at her house. I'm brining the sweet potato casserole, biscuits (DH is making those) and a cheesecake.

I just can't believe it's next week already. :O
Me(43)DH(40)DS(7)DD(3)

jlynnpaine responded:
We go to DH's grandparents house for a huge get together in the afternoon and then go to my parents house in the evening for a much smaller dinner with my immediate family. I generally bring pumpkin pie to my parents house but this year my mom said not to worry about bringing anything. I'll get her a pretty centerpiece for her table. DH's grandparents never let anyone bring anything to their's.

earleyml1012 responded:
We go to my in-laws, so I pretty much luck out in having to cook. Normally I bring an apple pie b/c it's my husband's favorite. This year I am taking an asparagus lasagna along since my in-laws never make any green veggies and I want to make sure my kids have at least one meal in 4 days that has a veggie.

sarah0323 responded:
I'm cooking like normal. I bought 3 turkeys this year and a ham. 1 will be fried (I want to try this), 1 baked (the only way the boys will eat turkey), 1 will be smoked (SO wants to do it this way). Yes a lot of turkey but I will can the leftovers into turkey soup. My dad and grandma will come out but that is about it.
Me 33, DD - O 13, DS1 -J 8, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 5, DD2 - E (11/10)

crunk05177 replied to sarah0323's response:
Fried turkey is amazing!! My brother in law made it last year and it was SOOO good! Just be safe and don't do it near your house!!
Me (30), DH (32), DS1 - Michael (7) and DS2 - Nathan (4 - severe peanut allergy and an egg allergy)

crunk05177 replied to sarah0323's response:
Annnddddddd I just looked back and realized I already told you guys about my fried turkey lol! Sorry!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Getting married in 3 weeks to my hunny who ive been with for 6 years. We have a soon to be 5 year old son together, and we are expecting baby number 2...More

Helpful Tips

Glowstick bathtime!
Go to the dollar store and buy some glowsticks, then for bathtime (after kids are safely in the tub) dim the lights and have a glowing ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 38 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.