Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Car Seats
mrswhitecastle posted:
As if car seats weren't confusing enough as it was! Has anyone else heard about this? The article is from last year, but says the new rule will take effect in 2014.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/perfi/basics/story/2012-06-06/child-safety-seat-latch/55452346/1
Emily (8) Elizabeth (6)

seeit2 responded:
So, the law says we are supposed to be warned? Are seat belts a safer bet?

I like that LATCH system - super easy to move car seats with it. I wouldn't know how to use the normal seat belt to install my car seats. But I had a student once whose car seat ejected from the vehicle with him in it - not a good outcome for him at all.
Esmerelda Supercalifragilistic (42) DD (6) DS (3) Just eat it, will ya

lenono97 responded:
Yes, I read a similar article a few days ago. It makes sense to me. Seat belts are made to hold in adults who weigh a few hundred pounds. My husband does all the car seat installing in my family and I believe he would agree the LATCH system is easier. Perhaps they will start making new cars with stronger LATCH anchors.

tlkittycat1968 replied to lenono97's response:
My husband didn't use the LATCH system in his truck because he said it was too hard to use. I hated that because the seatbelts in his truck wouldn't lock and thus the car seats were not secure. Our mini-van was made before the LATCH anchors were required so we used the seatbelts that thankfully locked.

My kids are now both in booster seats that use regular seatbelts so thankfully I won't have to worry about that unless/until I have grandkids.
Pround mom of PJ (6) and Kylee (4).

jlynnpaine responded:
I recently read about this too and switched DD2s seat from the LATCH to the seat belt. I love the LATCH system but she's 46 pounds and her seat is at least 20 lbs and I plan to keep her harnessed for another year or so until she outgrows her seat in height so I figured it's better than using the booster with just a seat belt.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Getting married in 3 weeks to my hunny who ive been with for 6 years. We have a soon to be 5 year old son together, and we are expecting baby number 2...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.