Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Need sleep advice
seeit2 posted:
My DS is 4 and he is exhausted. I put him to bed every night at 7pm (he passes out) and he is up by 5:30 at the latest every morning. Any advice about how to get him to sleep later? Will putting him to bed earlier help or is that only for really little kids? I'm afraid to keep him up later because if he continues to get up early then he just loses more sleep - and so do I. He gave up his naps about three months ago and has not made up any extra sleep for it as far as I can tell.
Esmerelda Supercalifragilistic (42) DD (6) DS (3) Just eat it, will ya

crunk05177 responded:
I was going to say to try and keep him up later that way he would stay asleep later but you don't think that would work. Is he potty trained? That is a long time for him not to pee. Maybe he needs to eat before going to bed to fill his belly for that long? I mean he is getting 10 1/2 hours of sleep which is plenty for that age. I honestly would think a later bedtime and full belly would help him sleep later.

I also find with my 4 year old, he gets cold and that wakes him up. Maybe warmer pjs? Hope that helps!
Me (30), DH (32), DS1 - Michael (7) and DS2 - Nathan (4 - severe peanut allergy and an egg allergy)

jlynnpaine responded:
If it was me, I'd put him to bed earlier. Sleep begets sleep. And you say that he's exhausted which tells me that he'll fall asleep quickly and maybe he'll only sleep until 5:30 still but he'll be getting a little extra each night. Once he's not feeling so exhausted, you may be able to push his bedtime back a bit to get him to sleep in. In my experience though, when my kids are over tired, they don't sleep nearly as well and tend to wake up earlier so I would think that putting him to bed at like 6:30 may actually get him to sleep longer. I'd make sure he's nice and full like pp said and make sure his room is nice and dark and give it a shot.

kc_94920 responded:
When my kids dropped their nap, I moved bedtime up whatever amount of time they normally napped.

For example: If their bedtime was 7:30 and they normally napped for 90 minutes I would have started putting them to bed at 6pm.

I have one kid (DD2) who was going to bed between 5:30 and 6 for months. She just couldn't deal with life after that and was exhausted all day (she was between 3.5 and 4.5). She is 5y8m now and has matured enough to make it utill 6:45/7pm most nights now-- Yay!
KC~ Mady (10) Logan (7.5) and Coco (4.5)

earleyml1012 responded:
My DD is 5 and is an early raiser. We have kept her up later on weekend nights so that she sleeps in and it works. Another thing we taught her is that if her clock (digital) doesn't start with a 6 then she has to stay in bed.

Spotlight: Member Stories

KC~ lucky mom to DD1 (9), DS (7) and DD2 (4)

Helpful Tips

Re-enforce good counting techniques.
Use gold plastic coins to encourage counting. When the child does anything worthwhile or helpful give tokens and then ask the child how ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.