Skip to content
4-5 year old going verbally unresponsive
An_256240 posted:
Help. My step-daughter when in trouble or not getting to do what she wants goes completely unresponsive. The only thing she does is pouts and sometimes cries. We try to talk to her to figure out what is going on or give her opinions, for example take a nap or play quietly in your room. She just looks at the floor and then at me. Not responding until she gets and ultimatum of punishment. We get her every other weekend and only know her mom talks to her when in trouble about not wanting her. We don't talk to like this to her. She is 4 about to turn 5 in April. We just recently found out about her last year and have been trying our best. This behavior is just confusing to me. She also does it at her mom's house. So I know it is not us. Any advice or tips. Is this a behavior problem or an underlining sign of something more. Both my husband and her mom are slightly mentally handicap. Could this be a sign she is too?

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Carrie. I have wonderful 4 year old son and an amazing husband. We were married on June 15, 2013 and he is a wonderful stepfather to my son...More

Helpful Tips

my son is soon to be 5 and me and my husband thinks he has undecended testicles.
when my son was about 1 our doctor thought my son had undescended testicles and sent us to a specialist. The specialist said he was find ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 24 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.