Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
4-5 year old going verbally unresponsive
An_256240 posted:
Help. My step-daughter when in trouble or not getting to do what she wants goes completely unresponsive. The only thing she does is pouts and sometimes cries. We try to talk to her to figure out what is going on or give her opinions, for example take a nap or play quietly in your room. She just looks at the floor and then at me. Not responding until she gets and ultimatum of punishment. We get her every other weekend and only know her mom talks to her when in trouble about not wanting her. We don't talk to like this to her. She is 4 about to turn 5 in April. We just recently found out about her last year and have been trying our best. This behavior is just confusing to me. She also does it at her mom's house. So I know it is not us. Any advice or tips. Is this a behavior problem or an underlining sign of something more. Both my husband and her mom are slightly mentally handicap. Could this be a sign she is too?

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a SAHM (HBP Depression sleep apnea) to my 2 kids DS (eczema milk allergy) 6 and DD 10 (asthma eczema and allergic to almost everything w fur) I h...More

Helpful Tips

Re-enforce good counting techniques.
Use gold plastic coins to encourage counting. When the child does anything worthwhile or helpful give tokens and then ask the child how ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.