Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I let my son watch superhero cartoons too early, now all he wants to do is fight. What do I do?
igotapig posted:
I didn't let my son look at any TV until after he was 2. Started off with the usual stuff (almost exclusively PBS Kids). As he got older, I introduced other videos like Disney/Pixar. Around 3 yrs old, I threw in stuff I liked and grew up with (super heroes, Looney Tunes, and because of a young cousin who was already into it, Star Wars).

Of course, during playtime he wants to pretend to be these characters and act out the stories. He has a great imagination and memory. I reinforce that what he sees on TV isn't real and that when we play we have to be careful and not hurt anyone. But, now all he wants to do is fight and is hitting and punching kids at pre-k. I talk to him about it and he says that there were bad guys. I ask who hit first and why didn't he tell a teacher. He looks me in the eye and tells me they hit first as the teacher tells me that he is almost always the aggressor.

What can I do to stop my child from turning into a mean bully?

crunk05177 responded:
I've had a similar problem. I stopped letting my son watch those types of shows and went back to Dora, Paw Patrol and Nick Jr. shows. I also took away all toys that were weapons. It has definitely helped and he has definitely gotten better. We were at a birthday party yesterday and by the end he was pretending his fingers were guns and started putting his hands on kids. But that was after 3 hours, which is a lot of progress.
Me (30), DH (32), DS1 - Michael (7) and DS2 - Nathan (4 - severe peanut allergy and an egg allergy)

Anon_52728 replied to crunk05177's response:
Wow! I'm having the same problem with my 4year old. School is starting to become a big issue( finger guns, light saber, wants to " arrest" the bad guys!) tried taking certain toys away but, am at a loss on how to make him understand he is hurting his friends! Any more tips? I would be greatful!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am the father of two girls, aged 4 and 6.

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.