Skip to content
Heartburn in Children?
mrswhitecastle posted:
Over the past several months, Emily has been complaining of stomachaches. I thought it was due to constipation. Today she is definitely not constipated, and she is saying that her stomach hurts. Today she mentioned that her mouth hurts, too. She says it feels better when she sits/stands up. When I point to her chest, she says that's where it hurts, and not in her belly. Could it be heartburn? She had bad reflux as a baby, and was on meds until she was 18 months old. I've never heard of a 5 yo having heartburn, but it does make sense with her symptoms.

WWYD? I know all the things to help an infant with GERD, but I don't know what to do to help her at age 5. Any ideas?

mommyof3kiddos responded:
You might want to have her seen. DS was complaining his tummy hurt but was rubbing his chest. He ended up having strep throat. Even if it's not strep I would still have her seen since it's lasting several months.

dwaw02 responded:
My DS had bad reflux as a baby and toddler too, and it still comes and goes periodically. It sounds like that's what's happening to her.

I would call her doc and tell them you think her reflux is flaring up again and what to do? When my DS was 3 they ran some tests to make sure that's all it was (DH took him so I'm not really sure what was involved). He was also put back on Zantac for several months. Now we just keep children's Pepto in the house for when it flares up, which is not much - a couple of times a year maybe. Sometimes though he will complain of heartburn (maybe a couple of times a month) but it's never bad enough to take anything for it.

Angela, DS (5), EDD 7/25/10 Pink Team

Stephensmom1214 responded:
I'm lurking over here, but DS still has some reflux/heartburn flare ups at 3.5 years old. We give him 1/4 tsp of Maalox when it's really bad, and I try to keep him away from his "trigger" foods, since we know what those are for him - dark berries, especially blueberries, are the worst!!

It sounds like that is what she is dealing with, so I'd talk to the pedi about what you can do for her when it's really bad. We don't do any meds anymore except for the occasional Maalox, and it's been working really well for the flare-ups.

Spotlight: Member Stories

proud dad of 2 kids, one is 4 1/2 & the baby is 4 months old (born june 2010). married for 13 years & live in the sunny south.....i'm an a...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.