Skip to content
Nursery water vs Bottled water
disneylings posted:
Can anyone help me?! We are going on vacation and will be flying. Our DS is on formula and we use nursery water to make up the bottles. Is there any difference between nursery water and bottled water (such as Dasani) for making up bottles. With all the regulations now, it will be a lot of weight to take nursery water and bottled water would be much easier and lighter...also we can easily buy it on the resort. Any suggestions?!

CDG22315 responded:
I'm pretty sure one major difference is that Nursery water has floride in it. I would say bring a few bottles of pre-made formula to cover the flight and the first day - then buy bottled water when you get there. Just make sure to read the label of the water you buy - make sure it's not some 'locally bottled mineral water' - which could mean tap water in a fancy bottle. I know there are difference between spring water, distilled water, mineral water - but I'm not sure what the differences are.... Have fun on vacation!!

Larissa_1985 responded:
I was reading about this yesterday actually when I looked up fruits to avoid for a baby. Anyways bottled water 9 times out of 10 is locally bottled unless specified otherwise on the bottled, and it's usually the same as the local tap water, just filtered once or twice. Nursery water is actually sterilized, bottle and tap water isn't . That's just what I read. I tried finding the website, but can't. Maybe you could put nursery water in smaller separate bottles and buy some more nursery water once you land.

peachyisthelife responded:
Mmm I use tap so that's very easy to deal with. I say just buy a few bottles of water after you get through security to last you then buy water when you get to your destination.

mommyof3kiddos responded:
Not all nursery water is sterlized. So if that's important to you then make sure to read labels!

x822x responded:
I just use my PUR water pitcher. It's cheaper in the long run and we can all use it. I've learned a few things about bottled water in general: First it's not regulated as tightly as your tap water if you have city water (vs. well). So your tap water is actually filtered, treated, or tested daily where as bottle water does not have to be. So don't feel like you HAVE to use bottled water. Second nursery water isn't recommended by my pedi. It contains fluoride and that's ok in very very small amounts, like what is found in regular tap water. Having it added isn't good. Regular bottled water is actually better because the amount babies need can be found naturally in other things so they don't NEED it in water. I've read quite a few things saying its one of those gimmicky baby items and can actually overdose the fluoride. I don't think that's a big deal since it's not an insane amount, but just keep that in mind for when you get back. So for vacation I'd use regular old bottled water. Not sure where you are going, but you may be able to go to a local store there and buy a case rather than pay extra for it at the resort? Have fun!!

laurap1980 responded:
Not sure where you are going or if you will have a car, but we use nursery water too. When we went on vaca we just bought a few gallons of nursery water at the grocery store when we got there (on our way to the hotel). You may have trouble finding bottled water brands you are used to in different states. GL! I also brought enough bottles with me for a 24 hour period premaid in a bag with ice packs - no problems with airport security. Have fun on your trip!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello All! I am married to my husband for 2 years and we have been together 12 years. We had a wonderful baby boy in May of 2011. And he has just be...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 11 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.