Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Poll: parenting style
jlcohen78 posted:
I was on Facebook last night and came across this quiz about parenting style so I thought it would be interesting to post here. I'm not sure if any of you have heard the term "crunchy mom" or not. It was a big thing when I was on these boards last year with DS but has seemed to faded recently. Anyway, it's basically a mom that chooses to go against main stream ideas in raising her children. So here it is. And no matter what your parenting style --- crunchy, main stream, or somewhere in between --- we are are GREAT mom's! 1. Natural birth vs. pain-managed birth: 2. Breast feeding vs. Formula: 3. Pacifier: 4. Co-sleeping vs. Crib-sleeping: 5. CIO vs. Non-CIO: 6. Baby wearing (ie wrap, sling, etc.): 7. Cloth vs. disposable diapers: 8. Delayed solids (ie 6 months): 9. Homemade foods vs. store bought: 10. Organic vs. non-organic: 11. Form mom's of boys, circumcise: These are all the things I could remember but if you think of something else, feel free to add!

jlcohen78 responded:
12. Vaccinating? I knew I forgot one!

JENEGIRL responded:
1. Natural birth vs. pain-managed birth: pain managed!!!!! 2. Breast feeding vs. Formula: BF 3. Pacifier: No 4. Co-sleeping vs. Crib-sleeping: crib 5. CIO vs. Non-CIO: still debating...probably not CIO but not sure... 6. Baby wearing (ie wrap, sling, etc.): yes, baby bjorn 7. Cloth vs. disposable diapers: disposable!! 8. Delayed solids (ie 6 months): yes, 6 months or very close to it 9. Homemade foods vs. store bought: I dream of making homemade but I don't know how my follow=through will be. 10. Organic vs. non-organic: both I guess 11. Form mom's of boys, circumcise:

laurap1980 responded:
1. Natural birth vs. pain-managed birth: How about go with the flow birth? I have had one natural and one with epi...we shall see on this next one! 2. Breast feeding vs. Formula: Tried BF, but not for me...Formula. May try it again for a 3rd time..but I don't beat myself up if it doesnt work, kwim? 3. Pacifier: Yup. 4. Co-sleeping vs. Crib-sleeping: Co slept with DD.....it worked for us, but was a really hard habbit to break so DS is a crib sleeper...which has worked even better! 5. CIO vs. Non-CIO: A little of both? 6. Baby wearing (ie wrap, sling, etc.): Sling 7. Cloth vs. disposable diapers: Disposable. 8. Delayed solids (ie 6 months): Nope, started at 4 mos...but only since he was ready! I wouldn't push it. 9. Homemade foods vs. store bought: Store bought organics....just so convenient for a working mom! I can't find any reason to take the extra time to make it myself 10. Organic vs. non-organic: Organic as much as possible...but I am not hardcore about it. 11. Form mom's of boys, circumcise: Yes....but unfortunately DS's was only partical ( I guess it sorta grew back a bit...I am not going to have it corrected).

jlcohen78 responded:
1. Natural birth vs. pain-managed birth: epi with DS and nothing with DD 2. Breast feeding vs. Formula: Breast --- directly from the tap 3. Pacifier: Yes but both gave it up early on 4. Co-sleeping vs. Crib-sleeping: Crib although I have been known to fall asleep with DD in bed 5. CIO vs. Non-CIO: Did CIO for DS but don't plan to for DD 6. Baby wearing (ie wrap, sling, etc.): Yes --- Moby Wrap 7. Cloth vs. disposable diapers: Disposable 8. Delayed solids (ie 6 months): No for DS, yes for DD 9. Homemade foods vs. store bought: homemade 10. Organic vs. non-organic: organic food if I can, clothing no 11. Form mom's of boys, circumcise: yes 12. Vaccinating: yes

laurap1980 responded:
1. Natural birth vs. pain-managed birth: How about go with the flow birth? I have had one natural and one with epi...we shall see on this next one! 2. Breast feeding vs. Formula: Tried BF, but not for me...Formula. May try it again for a 3rd time..but I don't beat myself up if it doesnt work, kwim? 3. Pacifier: Yup. 4. Co-sleeping vs. Crib-sleeping: Co slept with DD.....it worked for us, but was a really hard habbit to break so DS is a crib sleeper...which has worked even better! 5. CIO vs. Non-CIO: A little of both? 6. Baby wearing (ie wrap, sling, etc.): Sling 7. Cloth vs. disposable diapers: Disposable. 8. Delayed solids (ie 6 months): Nope, started at 4 mos...but only since he was ready! I wouldn't push it. 9. Homemade foods vs. store bought: Store bought organics....just so convenient for a working mom! I can't find any reason to take the extra time to make it myself 10. Organic vs. non-organic: Organic as much as possible...but I am not hardcore about it. 11. Form mom's of boys, circumcise: Yes....but unfortunately DS's was only partical ( I guess it sorta grew back a bit...I am not going to have it corrected).

peachyisthelife responded:
Yeah I saw that you took the quiz on fb so I took it, too! I also got mainstream like you did. The way some of the questions were phrased made the quiz not EXACTLY accurate, but fun to take anyway.

smatusiak responded:
1. Natural birth vs. pain-managed birth: epidural 2. Breast feeding vs. Formula: Tried BF, she didn't take to it and I had low supply so I pumped and gave formula until 5 months, then gave up the BM 3. Pacifier: Gave her one to start, but by 1 month, she didn't want it which I'm happy about 4. Co-sleeping vs. Crib-sleeping: crib 5. CIO vs. Non-CIO: CIO 6. Baby wearing (ie wrap, sling, etc.): never tried it 7. Cloth vs. disposable diapers: disposable 8. Delayed solids (ie 6 months): started cereal at 4 mos, veggies at 5 mos 9. Homemade foods vs. store bought: store bought 10. Organic vs. non-organic: Either 11. Form mom's of boys, circumcise: N/A 12. Vaccinations: We go with the doctor's recommended schedule

MISSBUBBLEYAJG responded:
Im kinda confused are we supposed to give our opinion on these topics? I think that is what I will do... 1. Natural birth vs. pain-managed birth: Oh man If I thought I could deal with the pain I would go all natural. I held off as long as I could when in labor, but I got the epi. 2. Breast feeding vs. Formula: I always planned to BF and I still am, although I told myself at least till 6 months, but now I will continue as long as LO and I are happy. 3. Pacifier: I let her have it, but I try to only use it for soothing. When she is going to sleep and if we are out sometimes she needs it. 4. Co-sleeping vs. Crib-sleeping: We have been co-sleeping since day One and Im happy with it. So far it has worked for us. 5. CIO vs. Non-CIO: I let her CIO occasionally. 6. Baby wearing (ie wrap, sling, etc.): I have never used any of those, but I have used the baby carrier thing..Ugh I forgot the name of it. 7. Cloth vs. disposable diapers: Disposable diapers. 8. Delayed solids (ie 6 months): It was like 2 weeks before she was 6 months old 9. Homemade foods vs. store bought: I store buy, although I started making food like mashing banana, avocado, and carrots. 10. Organic vs. non-organic: Non 11. Form mom's of boys, circumcise: I dont have a boy, but I know when we do we would probably get him circumsized. DB was circumcised, so he would want that for him. My little brother was not circumsized, but neither was my dad, so he knew how to take of it.

kms82082 responded:
Ohhh good poll Jamie! 1. Natural birth vs. pain-managed birth: Pain managed 2. Breast feeding vs. Formula: Both, mostyly BF, EBF for 4.5 months 3. Pacifier: No, but not for lack of trying! 4. Co-sleeping vs. Crib-sleeping: Crib until middle of the night feeding. 5. CIO vs. Non-CIO: Usually not. 6. Baby wearing (ie wrap, sling, etc.): Love my Bjorn! 7. Cloth vs. disposable diapers: disposable 8. Delayed solids (ie 6 months): yes 9. Homemade foods vs. store bought: homemade 10. Organic vs. non-organic: organic 11. Form mom's of boys, circumcise: yes 12. Vaccines? yes

alliegirl77 responded:
1. Pain managed...of course. there is no other way in my book 2. Prefer breast feeding but I wasn't too successful at it :frown: 3. Paci...could not live w/out that thing! :smile: 4. CRIB 5. both depending upon situation. If sick no CIO. If no other "symptoms" present, ok, but have only had to do it once 6. Have done the sling but only when shopping or some long time thing where I need both hands 7. Disposable 8. Started at 5 months. We tried holding out but LO was too hungry! 9. Store bought...don't have time to make homemade 10. doesn't matter to me... 11. n/a but if I have another and it is a boy - circumcise

expecting_my_first responded:
1. Natural birth vs. pain-managed birth: PAIN-MANAGED!! Thank God for epiderals!!!!! 2. Breast feeding vs. Formula: formula. 3. Pacifier: wish i would have never gave him one. now he cries at night when it falls out of his mouth. 4. Co-sleeping vs. Crib-sleeping: co-sleeping. DH plans on keeping him with us too for a while. 5. CIO vs. Non-CIO: non-CIO. i hate hearing my LO cry. makes me sad. im such a weine 6. Baby wearing (ie wrap, sling, etc.): tried baby bjorn but didnt like it. so no. 7. Cloth vs. disposable diapers: disposable 8. Delayed solids (ie 6 months): we started solids at 4 months. 9. Homemade foods vs. store bought: store bought. i couldnt make anything if my life depended on it. lol. 10. Organic vs. non-organic: non-organic 11. Form mom's of boys, circumcise: yes yes yes!!!! dr made us wait a week after birth so i wasnt too happy they didnt do it when he was born.

ambern99 responded:
1. Natural birth vs. pain-managed birth: I tried natural but have almost 48 hours of labor and it not going anywhere I said drug me! 2. Breast feeding vs. Formula: BF 3. Pacifier: We offered but he never took one though he play with it now! 4. Co-sleeping vs. Crib-sleeping: Crib 5. CIO vs. Non-CIO: CIO (sort of) 6. Baby wearing (ie wrap, sling, etc.): Sling at first but since he's been able to sit he prefers the stroller. 7. Cloth vs. disposable diapers: Disposable 8. Delayed solids (ie 6 months): Started about 4 months 9. Homemade foods vs. store bought: Store bought 10. Organic vs. non-organic: both 11. Form mom's of boys, circumcise: For sure! 12. Vaccinating: Yes

mama2browneyedbabigirl responded:
1. Natural birth vs. pain-managed birth: epidural 2. Breast feeding vs. Formula: Tried BF, she didn't take to it and it wasn't for me. 3. Pacifier: Gave her one to start with but she refused it once she knew nothing to eat was coming out. 4. Co-sleeping vs. Crib-sleeping: crib 5. CIO vs. Non-CIO: CIO 6. Baby wearing (ie wrap, sling, etc.): never tried it 7. Cloth vs. disposable diapers: disposable 8. Delayed solids (ie 6 months): started cereal & foods at 4 months 9. Homemade foods vs. store bought: store bought 10. Organic vs. non-organic: Either 11. Form mom's of boys, circumcise: N/A 12. Vaccinations: We go with the Pedi recommended schedule

roni090909 responded:
1. Natural birth vs. pain-managed birth: Pain-managed. I am not strong enough for natural. Plus I had 3 hours of just pushing. 2. Breast feeding vs. Formula: Still BFing at 6 mo but I do have to supplement with about 3 oz of formula a day. 3. Pacifier: Pacifier, I did not want a thumb sucker. Way too hard to break that habit. 4. Co-sleeping vs. Crib-sleeping: Crib sleeping but I did co-sleep when I was on maternity leave and needed those couple extra hours in the morning. 5. CIO vs. Non-CIO: Modified CIO 6. Baby wearing (ie wrap, sling, etc.): Baby Bjorn 7. Cloth vs. disposable diapers: disposable 8. Delayed solids (ie 6 months): Cereal at 4 mo and veggies and fruits at 5 1/2 9. Homemade foods vs. store bought: homemade, we think my LO might be allergic to the store bought stuff 10. Organic vs. non-organic: Both it depends on what I can find. 11. Form mom's of boys, circumcise: Yes 12. Vaccinating: Yes

Spotlight: Member Stories

My DH and I met in Chicago while we both lived there and discovered that we grew up about an hour apart from each other in Indiana. We dated for 4 yea...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 11 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.