Skip to content
To Vaccinate or Not
twiinc posted:
If anyone watched the Today show recently, they saw the segment on whether or not to vaccinate their children. Well I just read a post on WebMD for a different topic and they mentioned how they did not vaccinate their child and I wanted to discuss the subject... Personally, I think vaccinating your children is the safe and responsible thing to do. I did some research and found article after article claiming how dangerous not vaccinating is to the public at a whole. Why would anyone want to allow measles, hepatitus, tetanus or polio to run rampid through the playgrounds?! Your child may have symptoms for a day or two after recieving their vaccination, but that is nothing compared to the pain and suffering they will feel coming down with polio. Your child is too young to decide for themselves if they want to be vaccinated and it's a parent's responsiblity to make the right choice for them - adults need to see the big picture and realize how impactful such a selfish choice can be.

emilysmomma08 responded:
As a teacher this is such a touchy and scary subject!! For one, we have all of these autistic children and have no clue why they are autistic and why there are now so many more than there were even 10 years ago! On the other hand, there has been a huge increase in children getting things like the mumps and measles due to no vaccinations. Personally, we are getting my DD but we are splitting all of them up. They don't even charge an extra co-pay for this!! On Larry King pedi kept saying the only suggestion they have is to split them up. I don't think it is right for my child to get five shots in one day! That is ridiculous! I have made it so she gets 2-3 shots per appt. and comes back a week or two later and gets the other half. The 12-18 month shots including the MMR are when they say they start seeing signs of autism the most. I think there are 6 or 7 shots during that time frame and I am only going to do 1-2 per visit.

tinkerbell062803 responded:
Being in the medical field I can understand the fear some parents have of the vaccines causing autism, bu tthere is no research fully proving it one way or another. I can also understand not wanting to put your child in that much pain. I had to give a 6 month old 3 shots and an oral vaccine last week and his cries broke my heart but I know his mother had made the right choices for him. Lex will be getting all his vaccinations on schedule and the mmr will be one shot rather than three individual ones spread out, simply because I'd rather give him two rather than 6. But that was my personal decision (DH said all medical decisions would be mine to make based on my knowledge and ability to understand "medical speak").

jellyphish4 responded:
No vaccines here. After doing a lot of reading and soul searching, we decided that Isis wasn't born diseased or in need of an immune upgrade. Immunization and shots are not synonymous, she is being raised healthily. I have found more proof that autism is related to vaccines than proof that it is not. The common statement that "there is no proof relating the two" is lack of evidence, not proof in safety. Even if there's no connection, that is only one of many concerns I have. The other concerns are the ingredients in the shots (aluminum, MSG, anti freeze, fetal & animal tissue etc) and the other serious side effects they can have (seizures, ADD etc), the weakening effect the shots have on our immune systems, and others. If you want to look up more info from a neutral source check out Dr Sears' The Vaccine Book. If you want to discuss this further on a respectful level, I'm all for it, just let me know! But I'll tell you now that I'm not willing to get into a rude argument about it.

mias_mommy1 responded:
I personally am a vaccinating parent and I agree with wanting to keep those dangerous diseases in check. However, there are great risks to vaccines, a lot of children have terrible reactions and there can be other complications. I believe vaccinating is a PERSONAL choice. There is no right answer on this subject. There are too many pros and cons on both sides to make it a one size fits all kind of decision. I do not believe it to be irresponsible not to vaccinate, those parents are doing what they feel is best for their children and they have the right to decide that just like I have the right to decide to vaccinate. I honestly believe with the number of children who are vaccinated the ones who are not are really protected by them too. If my child can't get polio then how can he spread it to an unvaccinated child?

You are completely right that being immunized won't necessarily protect your child from a disease. I've been vaccinated 4 times against measles and I'm still not immune (I have to be vaccinated every few years because of my chosen field). And I respect your decision. I do have a question for you, what are you going to do for Isis' schooling? I know in WI we can't send children to daycare let alone school without vaccinations, and I believe it's the same in MN (don't know for sure since I'm working in WI right now, even though Lex has recieved all vaccines in MN and will probably end up in school there.

mias_mommy1 responded:
There are laws that do require vaccinations for school but there is a waiver that can be signed that will allow a child to attend school without being vaccinated for religious or medical reasons. Also in about 20 of the 50 states you can sign a waiver for personal preference as well it just depends on where you live, so there are options for non-vaxing parents who still want their children to attend public school.

jellyphish4 responded:
Actually, what I meant was that immunization means immunity, not shots. Isis will have natural immunity. Thanks for respecting our decision. I do think it's the right one for us, but I surely wouldn't force it on others. Anyway, it is a common misconception that unvaccinated children can't attend school. Every state recognizes medical exemptions, all but two have religious exemptions, and something like 15 states also have philosophical. Any entity that gets any money from the government (like public schools) cannot refuse children based on a lack of shots when one of these exemptions are filed.

Good to know. Thanks for educating me on it a bit. :grin:

cheergurl84 responded:
I vaccinate my son but honestly I think this post is a little harsh. We as parents make the choices we feel are best for our children. I honestly think those that choose to not vaccinate probably do a ton of reading before making their decision. You do not need to be calling someone selfish for doing what they think is best for their child!

twiinc responded:
What do you mean "natural immunity"? Is that like, living healthy means you'll be healthy? I had a boss who was a raw vegan and has never vaccinated his 3 kids and claims they have never or will never be sick. I understand that living a healthy lifestyle has it's wide range of benefits, but I just don't see how eating carrots and soy milk could prevent measles or something? My main concern with not vaccinating is the impact it can have on everyone else. I 100% believe in personal choice but one has to consider the whole picture. Of course a handful of kids unvaccinated won't re-activate polio but the trend is scary in that thousands of unvaccinated kids could. I just never realized there were people out there in today's world saying "No" to standard, advised medical care.

cheergurl84 responded:
I like soy milk first of all... and secondly do you see many cases of measles around? No you don't. Certain illnesses aren't even common in the United States. Also, even though I vaccinate my child... I do not say yes to all adviced medical care. If that was the case I'd have believed my child was deaf at birth, had possible myotonic dystrophy, and low muscle tone. He had none of the above... in other words... doctors are not always right! Doctors screw up too... that is why it's called PRACTICING medicine!

twiinc responded:
Your doctor told you your child was deaf at birth, had possible myotonic dystrophy, and low muscle tone? Interesting doctor...

Natural immunity is the immunity your body gets after coming in contact with a virus. An example is chicken pox, after having chicken pox your body's antibodies now know how to fight off chicken pox. Babies are also born with a form of natural immunity, it's just acquired from their mothers and it extends out longer if the baby is breastfed.

jellyphish4 responded:
Yes, healthy living equals healthy life. Our immune systems are not deficient. Isis is breast fed (which provides antibodies and strengthens the immune system), stays at home with me, we all make sure to eat healthy, keep our bodies strong etc. It's not hard to do, and this is how we prevent measles. Measles is also not dangerous. Here are the things that i considered when making the decision on each specific shot: the ingredients & their effects, the overall risks of the shot, the commonality of the disease, and the effects of the disease. After all this we decided on one shot we will be getting for her at a year. Since my child is not inherently diseased she is not a threat to vaccinated children. What I don't understand is why you're worried about it; if you believe vaccines protect your children from disease, why are you worried they will be infected? Conversely, however, there are some shots that use a live virus (flu, MMR, chicken pox) which makes the children who get these shots contagious for a while, thus putting MY child at risk. I certainly don't automatically assume that anything the medical community deems standard to be the right choice. All those PSAs about recalled meds, shots etc and all those commercials by lawyers saying "if you or someone you know got sick or died as a result of this shot or drug, call us" back me up.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have a beautiful 7-month-old son named Noah. He is the light of my life! My partner and I both work full time, and it stinks! There never seems to b...More

Helpful Tips

How to Increase Font Size!
Don't forget you can increase your font size by hitting and holding the Ctrl button on your keyboard and the plus sign at the same time. ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.