Skip to content
circumcision vent (long)
wifeyintraining posted:
Ok.. before i start let me say that i fee like i'm going through an identity crisis! I've joined all the boards that the webmd mommas have made and now i don't know where to post! lol. I MAY post this on all three boards i'm on.. so if you are on those boards with me, don't be surprised to see it again!

Ok.. so one of the boards i joined is cafe mom, and there was a whole post about circumcision that started with a expectant mom asking how much a circumcision costs. I decided to read it just to see what everyone had to say, and everyone kept saying "oh, i'm surprised the anti-circ crazies haven't been on yet to tell me i'm mutilating my son...etc." Then they started talking about how gross uncircumcised penises are.

Ok, first of all, no, i did not circumcise my son. But, I honestly don't care what others do.. its a personal choice.. but i got so upset when they started talking about it being gross and unclean and going on and on about it. It almost seems like they were bashing uncirc. and saying it was wrong even though they kept saying "yeah, its a personal choice'. Well, my personal choice was NOT to do it, and i don't appreciate everyone basically saying that it was wrong. I believe an intact penis should be considered a natural thing. The thing that bothers me the most about this is that when he gets older other people are going to be closed minded about it and he'll feel bad about it. I just wish it were more accepted. I am happy with the choice I made. After all the research I did I just couldn't go through with it.

My disclaimer here being of course that I'm definitely not putting anyone down for doing it because i know the majority of little boys ARE, but I wish that it was more socially accepted, and i wish that people weren't so harsh about it.

scperdomo responded:
That is so rude! I did circ. Cameron, but I did it because I felt it was the best decision for my son. I can't believe people can be so ignorant. There are many reasons that families don't get their sons circumcised. Some do it (or don't do it) for religious reasons and some don't do it because they feel its wrong and still some others because they simply feel it was the best decision for their son.

I would try not to let it get to you. You feel comfortable with your decision and you know that it was the best for your son, those women obviously need to take a class or two on etiquette.

wifeyintraining replied to scperdomo's response:
Yeah, I think I'm going to stay away from the rest of the 'cafe mom' world and just stick with the web md board Jill made. Most of the women on there act pretty ignorantly. Apparently we've been really spoiled over here. Yes, things get a little heated sometimes.. but never like i saw over there.

scperdomo replied to wifeyintraining's response:
What board did she create?

wifeyintraining replied to scperdomo's response:
She posted it on here.. the title of her post is 'what happened'.

Heather responded:
Well. Just to give you a different opinion than the Cafe moms, I do not think uncircumcised is wrong, dirty, or gross. Since I have a girl, I haven't really considered what my decision would be if I had a boy. Just like you, I feel it is a choice and shouldn't be judged by others.

My DB is not circumcised and it doesn't bother me at all. I love him and not just for his penis. (Ok, I may love it a little bit :), but it wouldn't be the determining factor of whether our relationship would work).

kfitz responded:
Heather you are hialroius!

I only have a DD, but I am preggo so we'll have to see if we get to make that decision. I think we probably will, but I completely support you for not wanting your son to go thru that pain. It does sound a bit barbaric if you ask me, but you didn't so I'll just say I think I was traumatized when I saw the board they strap them to in the nursery when we had DD. Also the ob gyns do the procedure???? What do they know about penises anyway!!!

gracesmom09 responded:
Wifey just wanted to let you know that it is actually about 50/50 right now per statistics. I know a lot more women who are leaning towards non-circ now a days. If I had a boy I wouldn't circ. Those women on cafemom are obviously uneducated about circumcision. It isn't dirty or gross. Sadly so much misinformation was given in the past that people who don't take the time to educate themselves do not know the facts.

Also for those that circ please don't take offense. I honestly have no preference what others do in regards to this issue.

Poisongirl98 replied to gracesmom09's response:
I too was surprised that it's pretty equal as far as circ/not circ. That is pretty ignorant that they would say that, esp. in this day in age. I mean, really. I was debating it myself for my DS because I didn't like the thought of him going through that, and I was initially told that they only give the babies tylenol for the pain! (He got a local anesthetic, but still). It really was more of my DH who didn't even question whether or not we should do it.

linzybinzy replied to Poisongirl98's response:
now I had my son circ., it was my husbands decision, but i supported this. my ob did it but she is a family practice doc as well and she stated she has done over 1500. it did seem barbaric at first but healed so fast and it was so quick, he slept for like 7 hours after because of the tylenol. I do see where some women might say it is "dirty" I think this might be because they need to clean it...dah. my friend's son wasn't circ. and it is just an extra 2 second step to clean them. I believe you made the right choice and never doubt yourself because of what people say. dont let them get to ya.... :)

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband and I are high school sweethearts. We got married August 27, 2005. After a couple of years of marriage we decided we wanted to have a baby....More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 11 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.