Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Starting fruits
pridgeon posted:
River was 6months old yesterday. We have went through all of the veggies, doing one a week. Now we are ready to introduce fruits. So, I assume we still give veggies while giving the fruits? Like, River gets oatmeal cereal (2tbs) and a contaner of veggies in the morning, a container of veggies at lunch, and we are going to start adding a container for supper. She nurses every 2-2 1/2hrs still. Do I just replace a veggie? If so do I alternate 2 veggies one day, 2 fruits the next? Also when do I intoduce a sippy cup?

River is my 2nd child but Tyler is 7 yrs old so it's been a while.
Thank you!

wifeyintraining responded:
I gave both to DS when we were doing fruits and veggies. I home made my baby food, so at lunch and dinner i would give him 2 ounces of veggies and 2 onces of fruit.. which would be like half a jar of both. HTH!

Poisongirl98 responded:
My DS is 7 months yesterday and we do a cereal and fruit in the morning, fruit and veggie in the afternoon, and cereal and veggie in the evening, and sometimes a baby mum-mum or these organic non-wheat teething biscuits I just found. I do either 1 cube (homemade) or 1/2 jar of fruit or veggie, or more or less depending on his mood. I try to pair more "binding" foods (like banana or rice) with foods that make him go so he doesn't get constipated. Also, you can introduce a sippy now, but I've discovered my DS likes it better if I take the valve out, even though he often gets too much water at a time

jesabelle responded:
My LO is 6 months old. We are still trying foods but he has a pretty good sized variety already. I give him a fruit (1oz) with his cereal in the morning (mainly to help with constipation because he eats the cereal plain). I rotate through apples, pears, bananas, peaches, and prunes. We will do mangos and blueberries soon. In the evening I try to do a fruit and a veggie (1oz of fruit and 2oz of veggies). So far he has had squash, sweet potatoes, carrots, green beans, peas, and now avacado (actually a fruit). I do a different fruit at dinner than he had at lunch. I have turnips and potatoes made but he hasnt had them yet. Also he still takes an average of 24oz of formula a day - 4 6oz bottles.

The info sheet I got at my LO's 6 month appt said to start introducing a sippy cup at 6 months. I'm waiting though. I just dont think he is ready for it yet. He's only been eating fruits and veggies for a month. We use Avent bottles and I have the sippy spouts and handles that attach to the bottles so we will start with those whenever we do start.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My DH and I began dating sophomore year in H.S. He says that he knew then that he was going to marry me. : ) We were married May 2008 and are the happ...More

Helpful Tips

No stimulation
I've read and been told that you shouldn't give your baby any stimulation when they wake up in the middle of the night. It may be hard but ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.