Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Baby is 8 months old and spitting up excessively
An_222301 posted:
My little one is almost 8 months and since she was born, she has been spitting up. It got a little bit better when we changed formulas at one month old. She went from Similac Early Shield, regular formula, to Similac Soy Formula. Has been on soy for about 7 months. She has been gaining weight and eats every 4 hours along with baby food. Even when she eats baby food, she will spit that up after eating and drinking. It is usually within 10 mins that she starts spitting up. I took her to a pediatrician doctor and they said that sometimes in most cases, the flap doesn't close to keep the food down. And that babies will grow out of it at a year old. The doctor suggested that we could go back to the cow's formula, or try goats milk formula called myenburg. Has any heard of this flap deal and if so what can I do about it? I don't believe that my baby is colicly because she doesn't cry for 3 hours straight. She is hardly fussy and at times she will arch her back. She is sometimes constipated and she will bring her legs up to her abdomen and make a face. But I don't think it is related to colic. What do u think? Has anyone else had this problem? Someone said that there is this surgery that they can go in and make it so the flap will close like its suppose to. Has anyone heard of this and has anyone done it for their baby? What are doctors saying?

jlbelknap35 responded:
there isnt a surgery unless its something else but its sounding like its infant GERD. i have never delt with it myself but several of my friends have. i think its the pink can of simalac has the rice cereal in it and its supposto make it thinker so that it stays down better. also dont let him drink anything for a bit after eating so he has time to digest the food a little. with acid reflex in adults they even say not to mix your food and drink. he should grow out of it but it will take time. oh one more thing that also helped was getting off simalac products all together and going to goodstart formulas. i would though try to talk to your pedi again and bring up the gerd theory or see if you might be able to see another pedi about it if yours wont listen.

An_222302 responded:
hello i have dealt with since my son was 2 months old and it is a pain i know. but it does get better. he is now 9 months old and doing a lot better. We are on Enfamil AR and prevacid. We tired everything too but nothing worked. Our pediatrician told us they out grow it some where around 1 to 2 years also. As your baby girl starts to do more stuff like walk or even crawl it gets better. i know when mind statred to sit up more and move around on his own it got better.

heather7257 responded:
Sounds like reflux to me, there are medications that can help get it under control. My DD is on prilosec and is no longer in pain. There are also tons of things you can do to help, like keep her upright for 30 min after eating, elevate her crib, don't keep her in pants with a tight waist band, smaller more frequent meals, etc. I would suggest visiting www.infantreflux.org there is tons of info on there and parents who would be more than glad to help. Good luck!

seeit2 responded:
Mt DD had similar issues and it turned out she has a severe milk allergy. I agree with PPs to pursue the reflux treatment but if it does not help or you start to see skin reactions or changes in her stool, I would go to an allergist and get her tested.

Deb

Anmar22 responded:
My DD has had the same thing since about 6 weeks, the only thing that finally worked for us was putting a little rice cereal in all of her bottles with Similac Sensitive formula. The Dr. didn't say she had reflux because she wasn't in pain. Your daughter sounds like she might have reflux. I've heard of the flap thing but I haven't heard of a surgery to fix it I thought they just had to grow out of it. Good luck and hang in there.

Eviesue1383 replied to heather7257's response:
What does DD stand for?

cshyronia replied to Eviesue1383's response:
dear daughter

cshyronia responded:
My dd has the same thing my ped says its reflux switch her to Enfamil A.R. which helped a whole lot. He says as long as she not pulling her legs up to belly or arching her back she not in type a pain no need for medicine. I would talk with you ped cause the way symptoms your baby is having sounds like she maybe in pain.

Soccer replied to cshyronia's response:
I just got on here. My bad, My daughter was puking all the time and some spit ups. So I asked my ped what to do, the ped told to put her on Similac Alimentum Expert Care. I know it is late but it helps others out.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Beth and I am 24 years old. I have been married to my husband Chris, who is 22, for 3 years. I have a daughter named Rochelle who is 5, a ...More

Helpful Tips

How to Increase Font Size!
Don't forget you can increase your font size by hitting and holding the Ctrl button on your keyboard and the plus sign at the same time. ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.