Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Please help.. No sleep
Sillyjordan posted:
Hello, I have a 6 month old son. He goes to bed at 8:30. I don't know how to get him to sleep through the night without 2 (sometimes 3) bottle feedings a night. I am really lacking sleep as my husband and I wake up at 5am to go to work everyday and we're not back home until 5:30pm. I also have 2 other children in the home were trying not to wake. He wakes up every 2-3 hours screaming at the top of his lungs. I admit i've created a bad sleeping pattern. When he wakes I give him a 5 oz bottle and prop it up with a pillow in his crib. He drinks the entire bottle and goes right back to sleep. I know Bad mom! He has developed such a bad sleeping pattern. Please any advice? I don't know how to get him back to sleep without a bottle. I've tried a pacifier and he spits it out and screams.

A desperate mom!

josirus responded:
I have a 8 month old son who is doing the exact same thing as your son is doing. I wish i could help but the only advice my doctor gave me is try and let him cry for 5 minutes and see if he will go back to sleep with out the bottle. also if he is at least going 6 hours in between bottles then it is fine to give him one.

ang_30 responded:
I used to have the same problem with my DD. She will be 10 mths. old on Sunday and she has FINALLY been sleeping through the night for the last couple of weeks. I informed her Pediatrician about and she told me to stop giving her formula at night and if she wants to suck on something, to give her water so that's what I did. It started working for a little bit but then she wanted to be carried at midnight, 1.30am, 3.30am and 5am. I was going crazy so I did the sleeping method because I thought it was time (this child is my 3rd). I let her cry and the first night she was being a stubborn lil thing that she pretty much woke up her brother, sisters and dad by crying for almost an hour. she finally fell asleep. the second night, she cried for 20 minutes and then fell back to sleep. the third night she cried for less than 5 minutes and then fell asleep. And now.....She does not wake up anymore and sleeps from 9.30pm-7am which is GREAT!!!! I know it sounds rough as no mother likes to hear there child cry and you want to immediately carry them to put them to sleep but there is some point where you need to put them on a sleeping schedule. HTH and GL!

jordynmaev responded:
We have a 9 month old girl that we would just give a bottle with about 2oz of water in to wean her off of the nighttime feedings, our pediatrician said their bodies will eventually learn to absorb all of the fat and cholestoral they need during the daytime feedings. if the child is given a bottle during the night, their bodies tell them to wake up because they need that fat and cholestoral intake. Our friends did the crying method and after the 3rd night their little guy was sleeping through the night.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My DH and I met in Chicago while we both lived there and discovered that we grew up about an hour apart from each other in Indiana. We dated for 4 yea...More

Helpful Tips

How to Increase Font Size!
Don't forget you can increase your font size by hitting and holding the Ctrl button on your keyboard and the plus sign at the same time. ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.