Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Irregular sleep patterns
An_222310 posted:
I have a 6 month old who was sleeping through the night (between 10-12 hrs.)until recently she's been waking up at 2 a.m. and 4 a.m. Most of the time she goes back to sleep. When I know she isn't going to go down on her own I'll wait between 10 to 20 minutes before I go put her back to sleep. Sometimes I nurse her and sometimes I just hold her until she calms down and put her back down. I did all these things because she missed a nap or she only took two 20 min. naps. Just 2'o clock this morning I could hear her babbling and squeeling happily off and on til 4 a.m. I had to go in and nurse her to sleep again. How long she naps is unpredictable and her night sleeping has been compromised. I just want her to get her 14 hr. sleep! This is my third baby and I still don't know what I'm doing wrong. Somebody tell me!

ashers_mommy514 responded:
you arent doing anything wrong! my LO is 6 months and his sleep pattern changes constantly. this week he is only waking once to eat at night and i have been feeling great. last week was TERRIBLE, we were up all night, nursing several times, etc. my lo has also never had a very predictable nap schedule. he sleeps when he is tired. if he wakes at night i change his diaper if i have to and keep lights off while i nurse him back to sleep. sounds like you are doing great meeting your LOs needs!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have been married for almost two years now, and am a SAHM to Jacob. He was born 7/27/09, and is our first child. I am a teacher, but I am currently ...More

Helpful Tips

No stimulation
I've read and been told that you shouldn't give your baby any stimulation when they wake up in the middle of the night. It may be hard but ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.