Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Runny nose..... sometimes green
malekalalis posted:
My son just turned 6 months weights 20lbs(big boy). I think it has been like almost 2 weeks since he had a runny nose. I was letting it just pass by thinking he had allergies because it started when the weather was getting warmer. But I noticed that some times the runny nose turned green and sometimes yellow. Is there anything over the counter medicine that I can give him or should I just save the trouble and make a Dr. appointment?

xtina04 responded:
I'm in the same boat. My daughter is 7 months and has had congestion for about a week now. Her snot is clear, just lots of it. I keep giving her little noses, and using the bulb, but I wonder if I just go to the dr. I just know that they may say to keep doing what I have been.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to xtina04's response:
My 2 year old daughter has persistent runny nose - she had her annual well-baby check up last month the doctor said she had "acute, purulent rhinitis". She prescribed antibiotics, which I'm not a fan of but she also had a mild ear infection.

After a year of wiping her nose, she is snot-free! Here's a link to an article..but no black and white answer...

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/news/20060720/antibiotics-for-green-snot-maybe

Haylen

xtina04 responded:
Ok, so I ended up taking her to the dr yesterday. She has allergies. So the dr told me to get zyrtec and prescribed her albuterol. I also have to watch her breathing since she has eczema, she may have asthma too. I hope that this helps w/ your decision.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to xtina04's response:
Good to get a diagnosis! Have you started her on any of the medications? Any improvement?

Haylen

xtina04 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Yes, she prescribed albuteral liquid and zrytec. So far she's been doing just fine. She also has been sleeping with a cool mist humidifier, which I see a huge difference.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, I am a mommy of 3 very energetic ckids 2 boys and a girl. Th e baby is 8 months now and she is into everything. The boys keep me busy with all the...More

Helpful Tips

No stimulation
I've read and been told that you shouldn't give your baby any stimulation when they wake up in the middle of the night. It may be hard but ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.