Runny nose..... sometimes green
malekalalis posted:
My son just turned 6 months weights 20lbs(big boy). I think it has been like almost 2 weeks since he had a runny nose. I was letting it just pass by thinking he had allergies because it started when the weather was getting warmer. But I noticed that some times the runny nose turned green and sometimes yellow. Is there anything over the counter medicine that I can give him or should I just save the trouble and make a Dr. appointment?

xtina04 responded:
I'm in the same boat. My daughter is 7 months and has had congestion for about a week now. Her snot is clear, just lots of it. I keep giving her little noses, and using the bulb, but I wonder if I just go to the dr. I just know that they may say to keep doing what I have been.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to xtina04's response:
My 2 year old daughter has persistent runny nose - she had her annual well-baby check up last month the doctor said she had "acute, purulent rhinitis". She prescribed antibiotics, which I'm not a fan of but she also had a mild ear infection.

After a year of wiping her nose, she is snot-free! Here's a link to an article..but no black and white answer...

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/news/20060720/antibiotics-for-green-snot-maybe

Haylen

xtina04 responded:
Ok, so I ended up taking her to the dr yesterday. She has allergies. So the dr told me to get zyrtec and prescribed her albuterol. I also have to watch her breathing since she has eczema, she may have asthma too. I hope that this helps w/ your decision.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to xtina04's response:
Good to get a diagnosis! Have you started her on any of the medications? Any improvement?

Haylen

xtina04 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Yes, she prescribed albuteral liquid and zrytec. So far she's been doing just fine. She also has been sleeping with a cool mist humidifier, which I see a huge difference.