Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Two part question -6 mo old son not pooping and co-sleeps with parents and nurses on and off all night.
Croix818 posted:
Hello

My 6 mo old son has not pooped in 4 days. All week he has been fussy and during the night wakes up often grunting/crying. He sometimes straightens his legs and has lots of gas. His belly is not distend. I have waited to call my pediatrician but think I will today if he still does not go. Any suggestions?

I have slept with my son since he was 9 wks old. I breast feed and we travel so it made nights easier however I don't think he gets good sleep because he wakes up looking for my breast. He will not take a pacifier - I am his pacifier. I know I need to get him to sleep in his crib but am having anxiety over it. Any guidance - please!

Ellasmommy811 responded:
With the not pooping it sounds like he maybe a little constipated...has he started on solid foods yet...if so peaches, pears, and prunes have helped when my 6mo old is having poopy issues.

With the co-sleeping my daughter was sleeping with us every night, but I knew that i needed to get her into her crib. I started with letting her play in her crib for a few minutes here and there with her being put in there while she was awake and then started and would lay her down in there for naps, and gradually moved her from sleeping with us to sleeping in her bassinet/playpen that was set up in our room, and then to her crib that way it was a gradual transition for her (and me...lol). Sometimes I do miss her being right next to me all night, but I know that if I roll over in my sleep the only person I am going to possibly roll onto is my hubby...lol Also during this transition there were quite a few nights that she started out in her space and then wound up in the bed with us. Other than that all I can say is give it time, and know that you are doing what is right for your baby!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello All! I am married to my husband for 2 years and we have been together 12 years. We had a wonderful baby boy in May of 2011. And he has just be...More

Helpful Tips

No stimulation
I've read and been told that you shouldn't give your baby any stimulation when they wake up in the middle of the night. It may be hard but ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.