Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I NEED HELP
IndependentMommy posted:
Im so worried about my son. He is 6 mos old. For nearly 3 mos he has been going through some issues while sleeping. At night while sleeping, I noticed that he would start to jolt like he was trying to catch his breath. He would do this for about 3 minutes or until I woke him up. Ive noticed that at night, he tosses and turns for hours. Then he just starts randomly crying. I try to give him a bottle becuase I think he may be hungry and he refuses it. He also gets very congested. He rubs his face and ear continuously. Recently, his pediatrician put him on a nebulizer to help with his cough. He also has an enlarged lymph node behind his ear. Ive gotten it checked for possible ear infection but it has been ruled out.I kept mentioning to her his sleep habits and she doesnt tell me much. Ive been doing a little research on the signs/ symptoms by son exhibits. Ive come up with OSA(obstructive sleep apnea) or infantile reflux disease. I'm not sure which of the two he might have or if he has anything at all. Ive tried letting him sleep on an elevated surface and that does not help. Someone please give me some advice. I hate to seem like a worry-wort but Im not sure what else to do!!!

KSHoh responded:
You may want to ask your doctor for a referal to have a sleep study done. If he does have OSA that may be the only way they would be able to properly diagnosis it and to get a cpap machine if needed. My son has reflux and his symptoms before meds was, projectile vomit, you can hear the milk coming up in his throat and going back down over and over again, crying most of the day and night( almost like colic). Some babies do have silent reflux also which you may want to see a specalist to confirm or rule it out- there is a test they can do to confirm the silent reflux. Even after medication my son still spits up but has grown out of the projectile vomiting and he also can be congested still a lot. To help with that we use a cool mist humidifer every night and for all his naps, it has helped a lot. I would suggest getting one with at least a 1.5gallion tank so that it can run for 12hrs that baby sleeps at night and it is a little work keeping it properly clean becasue you do not want bacteria or mold to grow in it. I hope this help some, I would at least start with a sleep study or maybe try a new pedi if you feel she is not taking your concerns seriously.

lestersgirls responded:
Hi.
My daughter was about 2 when this was going on with her, but it was a very similar situation. She was congested all the time and when she talked, it sounded like she was always stopped up. She had very bad sleep apnea and was always tired during the day. She would wake herself up all night long because she would essentially, stop breathing. The pediatrician was treating her for allergies and finally referred us to an ear, nose, and throat doc. He took one look at her and said that her tonsils were HUGE and that was her problem. He removed her tonsils and adenoids and she has never had another problem. Her little voice even sounded completely different! She also had an infection in her lymph gland behind her ear. Her doc removed that at a different time. I am not an MD and this may be completely off the map,but it may be worth mentioning to your doc. I have a son who is 6 months also and he is struggling with allergies right now. It's so heartbreaking because you don't know what to do for them. I'm a worry wart too so I feel for you ! Good luck!

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to lestersgirls's response:
Have you found anything out since you posted? I hope to hear that you have received a diagnosis and have treatment options!

Haylen

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, I am a mommy of 3 very energetic ckids 2 boys and a girl. Th e baby is 8 months now and she is into everything. The boys keep me busy with all the...More

Helpful Tips

No stimulation
I've read and been told that you shouldn't give your baby any stimulation when they wake up in the middle of the night. It may be hard but ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.