Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Black poop :S
MrsL9 posted:
So my son is just 6 months old and yesterday he had some blackish looking poops. Usually his BMs arent hard but all of these were kinda like play doh and very dark in color. The only thing we have changed recently was introduce a few new fruits and veggies. So I was wondering if this could be the culprit or if I should be more concerned about the black, harder bms. Any help asap is greatly appreciated. im very worried and not sure if I should be calling the nurse line at this point! Thanks in advance :)

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
I just checked out this WebMD article on Color Changes in Baby Poop .

Because of the info below, I would call your pediatrician or bring him in ASAP

When to Worry About Baby's Bowel Movements
* If the stool is tarry black, there may be blood in the digestive tract that has turned dark black as it traveled down the intestines.

Haylen

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am the Mommy of a wonderful baby girl named Eleora Marylin. She is the love of my life. She was born 7-23-09. I am married to the most wonderful man...More

Helpful Tips

No stimulation
I've read and been told that you shouldn't give your baby any stimulation when they wake up in the middle of the night. It may be hard but ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.