Skip to content
what should i do when my boy is diagonised with asthma
An_222314 posted:
what is the treatment of asthma in 8 old months baby

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Check out the Asthma Communit y - lots of great information for all ages - I'm sure there will be lots of parents to chime in.

Also here's an article about Asthma in Infants and Children

Haylen

Kay_And responded:
I will probably get alot of people saying I am wrong and critisizing what I am about to say.......

but asthma should not be diagnosed in children until they are at least reaching school-age.

Some children can be born with immature airways, which causes them to be weak and "soft", causing alot of coughing and other symptoms that can mimmick asthma. Which is harmless and gets better as the child gets older.

Also, to be specifically diagnosed with asthma there are tests that need to be done that just CAN NOT be done on infants or toddlers that are unable to follow directions.

I know many doctors who throw around asthma diagnoses just .... well .... for lack of any other cause....and thats not really the "RIGHT" way to diagnose a person with asthma.

Your baby could very well have asthma, but I would look into other reasons.

Okay, so there was my rant on that....

treating infants that are diagnosed with asthma.....probably alot of nebulizer breathing treatments with albuterol to help open the airways, possibly inhaled corticosteriods such as pulmicort nebulizers that decrease inflammation.

In bad cases....oral steriods such as orapred...which is an oral form of a steriod and decreases inflammation.

The best and first thing you should try is to decrease things inside and outside of the home that could trigger asthma symptoms...such as pets, carpet, fans, outside allergies such as grass and hay, dust and others.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My DH and I began dating sophomore year in H.S. He says that he knew then that he was going to marry me. : ) We were married May 2008 and are the happ...More

Helpful Tips

No stimulation
I've read and been told that you shouldn't give your baby any stimulation when they wake up in the middle of the night. It may be hard but ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.