Skip to content
Feedings and sleeping through the night
nyoka4u posted:
I have an almost 8 month old, 6 months develepmentally because she was 2 months premature, girl who won't sleep through the night still. If I give her only her formula and no cereal she wakes up every three hours to eat again. If I give her formula and cereal she sleeps almost 8 hours. The problem is, when she eats too much cereal (oatmeal) she gets so constipated that she gets grumpy with good reason. There are many nights that I don't get a lot of sleep because of this. Does anyone have any suggestions about what to do to help her to sleep better without all the tummy issues? The other thing is that she has reflux and if I fill her up with too much formula, she spits up all over the place even though she gets meds for this. Thanks for any advice.

phoenix31674 responded:
Not much advice. DS just turned 7 months and he still does not sleep through the night. Remember, it's only 70% of kids sleeping through the night at 9 months, which means that 30% of the babies aren't. It sucks to be in that 30%, but someone has to be.

Even at 6 months developmentally, it sounds like her stomach and gut isn't quite ready for cereal. I've been trying to get DS to eat, but he really doesn't want anything to do with it yet. Perhaps you can start trying to introduce some veg and fruits which can be easier to digest than cereal and see if that helps the constipation. Cereal - while a highly recommended first food - is one of the most difficult to digest foods.

nyoka4u replied to phoenix31674's response:
I do giver her the fruits and veggies and she really likes them. I also wonder if part of the constipation is due to the AR formula she gets. If we give her anything else we get a formula bath. Yuck. I might try putting the fruit in her bottle when I give her the last feeding for the night before bed. Appreciate your response though. What really sucks is that I have friends whos kids have slept through the night from about 4 months on. :0) She's going to be my stubborn one I think.

phoenix31674 replied to nyoka4u's response:
My daughter started sleeping about 6 hours at 2 months and by 3-4 was pretty consistently sleeping the whole night. My son has just been much needier and a completely different experience. She loved food and gobbled down everything we gave her. He's not so hot on food and it can take me half an hour to get roughly 1 tablespoon of food into him. He was colicky, she wasn't. Complete 180 experience so not much that I learned with her has crossed over to raising him.

i think I have heard other parents mention the ar formula does back a baby up and that they give diluted prune juice to get things moving from that front. Not sure how that would sit with her reflux though.

kamls73 responded:
My DS will 6m this friday & thankfully he's been sleeping thru the night for almost 4m now. What we've started doing is feeding him reg fruits or veggies as his last feeding of the night instead of just a straight bottle. With just formula he was waking up in the morning ravenous & screaming. Since we've been giving him the food he's been sleeping later in the morning & waking up smiling & babbling.

We started him on food at 4m - per the peds suggestion. He didn't take to rice cereal in the beginning. Tried him on veggies 1st instead & he loved them - his favorite was & still is sweet potatoes. He eats the cereal now but only if it's mixed with food.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, I am a mommy of 3 very energetic ckids 2 boys and a girl. Th e baby is 8 months now and she is into everything. The boys keep me busy with all the...More

Helpful Tips

How to Increase Font Size!
Don't forget you can increase your font size by hitting and holding the Ctrl button on your keyboard and the plus sign at the same time. ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.