Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Crib Rails/Head Indent
goodfella114 posted:
Our baby girl has started sleeping in her crib for the last few weeks. We were told it is a better idea to remove the "bumper pad" as this can create a dangerous spot for babies to suffocate during the night. She likes to turn in the night and this morning she woke up with the top of her head pressed against the crib rails. I picked her up and there were two dents along her head from the rails. You could easily feel them and I'd say they were about 1/16" deep. Is this normal and is it doing any permanent damage? Should we think about using the bumper pads? We'll definitely ask the doctor but just looking for opinions and experiences here. Thanks.

hppyw3 responded:
I have three kids and i didnt use the bumper pads, my 9 month old son is doing the same thing. I get him up and he has two red marks up his head. When i check on him in the middle of the night i scoot him back to the middle sometimes it helps and sometimes he still ends up at the other end. I dont think it is doing any damage. hope this helped a little.

hppyw3 responded:
I have three children and i used the pads for a short time with my first daughter, until i woke up one morning and she had it pulled over her face. I was so scared she wasn't going to be breathing. I took them off immediately and didn't use them with my other two. My 9mo old son is doing the same thing he wakes up in the morning with two red marks on hid forehead. I don't think its doing any damage. When i wake up in the middle of the night i check on him and scoot him down sometimes it helps and sometimes he still ends up at the rail the next morning. hope this helped some.

ami_nix responded:
Have you thought about using one of the breathable bumpers? I've heard that they are safer because they are made of mesh and your little one can get air even if they pull it over their face. I haven't tried one yet as my little one will not sleep unless he's in his swing right next to the bed where he can see me if he wakes up.

goodfella114 replied to ami_nix's response:
Hmm, I've never even heard of breathable bumpers. Maybe I'll give that a shot.Thanks for the tip!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Well my hubby and i have been married 8 years in January. We are high school sweetheart. We both work in security. We have beautiful baby boy named Lo...More

Helpful Tips

No stimulation
I've read and been told that you shouldn't give your baby any stimulation when they wake up in the middle of the night. It may be hard but ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.