Skip to content
extremely overtired 7 month old
An_239307 posted:
My 7 month old has not slept in months. For about a month or so he was getting up every 1-2 hours (around 5 months old) and barely napping during the day. Then he stretched his first sleep stretch out to 4 hours then up every 2 hours and sometimes won't go back to sleep and is up for 2-3 hours at night. Now he barely naps (maybe 30 minutes a day!) and rubs his eyes and is so tired all day long! In a 24 hour time frame, sometimes he only gets 7 hours of total sleep (not 7 hours consistent, a few hours at night and a few cat naps during the day).He is going to a sleep doctor later this week and i'm trying to find a sleep doula to help us because we are so lost. We've tried CIO, not CIO, co-sleep, not co-sleep, stay in his room...pat his back, rock him, don't rock him, etc. We've tried it all.....we are desperate for sleep here. He is chronically overtired and we don't know how to break the vicious cycle. Has anyone experienced something like this? Any help would be greatly appreciated! thank you.

jennymoy responded:
Can you please tell me how this resolved for you? My son is in the same boat now (just turned 7 mo last week) and I'm at a loss. What did the sleep doctor recommend?

Thank you

AKroxy replied to jennymoy's response:
Have you read Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child by Weisbluth?
It saved my baby!
It talks about sleep deprived babies and some on how to solve the problems.
Sleeping Through the Night by Jodi Mindell was also helpful.

My baby stopped napping around 6 weeks old, and was extremely overtired/constantly sleep deprived from about 1 month to 4 months.
The strategies are probably different at this age, but I watched like a hawk for sleep cues and nursed him to sleep and held him throughout his nap to get him less sleep deprived. Once he was less sleep deprived, we started ferber/cry it out sleep training to get him to sleep in his crib.
It has been 4 months since we started cry it out, and he still sometimes cries for an hour and a half in his crib, but most of the time, he goes to sleep without drama, and he's not sleep deprived any more. Best of luck!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have been married for almost two years now, and am a SAHM to Jacob. He was born 7/27/09, and is our first child. I am a teacher, but I am currently ...More

Helpful Tips

No stimulation
I've read and been told that you shouldn't give your baby any stimulation when they wake up in the middle of the night. It may be hard but ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.