Skip to content
need advice!
ami_nix posted:
I'm afraid I have created a "monster". I work full time and my son is 6 months old. I miss my little guy so much when I'm at work that I will shower him with attention and cuddles when I get home. The problem is that now, once I am home, if someone isn't holding him, he will just scream and scream.. He doesn't act like this during the day. It makes it impossible to get anything done because I can maybe start a load of laundry before I can't take it anymore and will go pick him up. I try to get everything done after he goes to sleep but, then I'm up until 3am and he wakes up around 8:30am. I love my time with my Monkey but, I need to be able to put him down and do chores so that his environment is clean and safe. Any advice? I know I may have to just let him cry and take frequesnt breaks to make sure he doesn't need anything but, it's really hard. I hate hearing him cry and knowing I could fix it

TashM responded:
Sorry it is a late reply, but I just saw your post. No worries! You can do both! He can be with you and get get your chores done! Have you considered wearing your little guy as you go about doing your chores in the evening? I do this with my child, and when she is fussy, it works like magic. At your son's age, he can be worn on your back, so you have your hands free and easily bend over to cook, clean, laundry, etc. I use an Ergo carrier or a Dolcino wrap. They can be expensive new, but I found both of mine used. I would also recommend a Baby Hawk or mei tai carrier. I found the Baby Hawk to be much more comfortable than the Ergo. Either way, they are very worth it. I find my daughter is only fussy in the evenings when she is tired or doesn't feel well. I'm guessing your son may have started teething around 6 months, and that could have let to the increased fussiness. Did any teeth come in the following weeks? I find wearing my daughter allows me to be with her, have closeness, provide teaching opportunities as I work, and she is happy to watch me work at least for an hour.

jminer333 responded:
My son does the same thing when I get home. I only work weekends, so we are together all day 5 days a week. When I come home he immediatley starts fussing until I pick him up. I hhave found that if I talk to him while I am doing other things, it calms him down. He loves playing peek-a-boo. So if I have to go into the laundry room or the kitchen, I play peek-a-boo with him while I do my stuff, and he stays calm. If he doesn't stop fussing after a while, I will sit on the floor and play for a few minutes, trying to get his attention diverted to a toy, and then try to leave and do my stuff. It is hard, but if you stay consistent trying the same routine every night, it will get easier.

wmatto83 replied to jminer333's response:
I do a couple things to keep my little guy active while I am doing things. Sometimes I put him in his highchair and put learning dvds in and he watches them for a little while. Then sometimes spending on what I am do if I am going to be in a certain room for a while I will put him in his walker in that room with me so he can zoom around and feel like he is a part of things. Also I have a jumperoo from fisherprice he loves that thing that keeps him occupy while I cna make supper. I sometimes just put him in his playpen in a sitting position and let him play with his toys.
ME 28 DH 39 DS born 5/24/11 Two Fury sons both 5

kbjoe responded:
I know exactly what you are going through. My DD is 6months and wants to be held all the time. My DH created this monster and he will usually deal with her with no problems, its just that when he is away or we are both busy it is a real problem. I've tried the high chair with toys and it works for a few minutes. I tried her activity seat and it works for a few minutes. I have an 11 yr old and he entertains her sometimes but he has homework or just wants to do his own thing and he should be able to. Nothing seems to work for any length of time. It doesn't bother me as much as it does my husband but when he cant get to her he bothers me because she is crying. UGH, what to do? WHAT TO DO!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am the mom to a beautiful baby girl named Alice! She was born February 4 and has been the most beautiful part of my life ever since!

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 11 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.