Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Weening my son off of bottles
jminer333 posted:
I have an 8-month-old son and my husband and I want to start weening him off his bottles, so that he is bottle-free by 12 months. What can I supplement at 9am 2pm, when he would normally be getting a bottle? I don't want to put formula in a sippy cup b/c I worry about him getting confused as to what time of day it is. My hope is to have him down to one bottle before bed by the time he is 10 months. Any suggestions?

sdadkin responded:
My DS is almost 9 months. He gets formula in his sippy cup with breakfast (oatmeal) and then the rest of the day I give him water in his sippy cup. He still gets a bottle of formula before bed and occasionally at nap time (mainly on the weekends when he is home for nap time). I don't think it will confuse your LO if you put formula in his sippy cup. I did it with my first son and he had no problem transitioning away from the bottle. HTH.

mommyin2011 responded:
have a 6 month old and i have already started him on sippy cups. he will normally drink about 1 bottle a day and about 2-3 bottle durning the night (still not sleeping through) i want him off bottle by 1 also (im pg with # 2 and really dont want to babies with bottles)

jminer333 replied to mommyin2011's response:
My husband and I are trying for number 2. My son sleeps through the night, and has 3 bottles during the day, sippy cups 3 times a day with his solids. He doesnt seem to like formula from his sippy cup, so its just water. But if I trade his bottles for a cup, then he wont be getting all the vitamins and stuff htat he gets from the formula

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have been married for almost two years now, and am a SAHM to Jacob. He was born 7/27/09, and is our first child. I am a teacher, but I am currently ...More

Helpful Tips

No stimulation
I've read and been told that you shouldn't give your baby any stimulation when they wake up in the middle of the night. It may be hard but ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.