Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Sleep Problems - 7 1/2 Month Old
An_247605 posted:
Our little boy has never been an ideal sleeper, but for about the past 10 days, he's been waking up 5-6 times per night. Sometimes it's just a quick cry and he goes to sleep with no help. Sometimes he needs just a little rub on the back to help him settle back down. Other times it takes 10 minutes of rocking and eventually nursing to get him back to sleep. We've been keeping a log to try to find any patterns and haven't found any.

I've tried researching online and have found references to an eight month sleep regression, tied to the many, many developmental milestones babies tackle at this age. Ours has certainly been checking a lot off the list.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any advice? Any hope that we'll eventually get out of this pattern?

ClinResearch responded:
yes, I have been there. My LO was sleeping through the night and and then suddenly started waking up 5-6 times a night with one major outburst that required rocking for over 10 minutes. He has reflux and is on medication that really seems to help. He moves a lot at night and is of course teething. Per my pediatrician it is a combo of new milestones, teething and reflux. He suggested tylenol at bed time for about a week to see if it helped with his teething. Now we only give it as needed. It has gotten much better and now wakes up maybe once a night. Hang in there and Good luck!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband and I are high school sweethearts. We got married August 27, 2005. After a couple of years of marriage we decided we wanted to have a baby....More

Helpful Tips

No stimulation
I've read and been told that you shouldn't give your baby any stimulation when they wake up in the middle of the night. It may be hard but ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.