Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Punishing a 9 month old?!!!
An_251665 posted:
I've just been inforned that the mother of my beautiful granddaughter is putting her in time out. She places her in her high chair and turns her to the corner. Am I just being an over protective grandmother, or is this the craziest thing you've ever heard?

Sarahsmommy responded:
seems a little too soon to be giving time-out. I heard of a 1 minute rule for each year of the childs age, but not before a year old.

ismara05 responded:
If the baby is already 9 months I would say it is great to start introducing time out. That way it will be easier when the baby is older. It would make it easier because the baby would realize that they don't have an option, that it is something they have to do. I would thou say to make sure that proper time out is in place for example even it the baby is too young to fully understand language, She would still need to tell the baby the reason for the time out. after time out is complete which I would recommend half a minute let the child know why he or she was in time out. I would also remind her that time out doesn't work unless there is time in which would be rewards for the good behavior.
Hope this helps!

ElanaGoldleaf responded:
I have a 9 month old and I have never "punished" her.... I don't really see what any child under a year of age could do that was so bad that he/she deserves to be spanked or put in time out. They are learning about their world and need to explore to develop properly. If you are not child proofed and your child grabs something, that's your fault... If your child is crying to be held or because they need something, how is that bad? Separation anxiety kicks in right now, they are learning 2 or 3 new skills a week... It can be stressful, and your job is not to punish them for being cranky or needing something, but to love and nurture them... An_251665, don't feel that you are being overprotective... your daughter in law (I am assuming) is being ridiculous and doesn't understand your developing granddaughter..... please say something to her or point her to some of these webmd articles that explain development.... or ask her to see what her pediatrician thinks about punishing a baby

ElanaGoldleaf replied to ismara05's response:
just wanted to comment.... talking to a baby about why they have to sit isolated to be punished when they don't understand what you are saying does not really help anything... You are showing the child that for naturally developmental interests, there are consequences... I don't know if you wrote this because you were bored or an idiot, but it doesn't even sound like you have children... Hope this helps!

debs4th replied to ElanaGoldleaf's response:
Thank you ElanaGoldleaf! I have an 8 month old and can not imagine him ever doing anything that would be deserving of a timeout at this age.

cocoa47989 responded:
My son is only 8 months old and I have just recently started putting him on a very short time out. When he starts to do things that are just mean like biting pinching and pulling hair I simply tell him no and try to distract him. He also smacks in the face now even for an 8 month old he is strong and I know that he doesn't completely understand what he's doing. So I sit him in his playpin for like maybe 2 or 3 minutes not really meant as a punishment period but more like a little bit or time to calm and cool down. And since babies don't really have any idea or concept of time that 2 or 3 minutes really helps a lot. Now I honestly don't know about the high chair I wouldn't do that b/c that could send some mixed signals, when my sons sees his highchair he know its time for num-nums and I like it that way that way he has started to get a sort of routine. But being the mother of a small infant shes probally just stressed out and may not know what else to do to change the situation. if you have any other ideas why don't you try telling her see if she might be interested in trying them

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband and I started dating 9/1/98 when I was 15 and he was 17. We had that on and off again relationship for many years. We got engaged 12/17/05 ...More

Helpful Tips

No stimulation
I've read and been told that you shouldn't give your baby any stimulation when they wake up in the middle of the night. It may be hard but ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.