Skip to content
Poll: birth experience
jlcohen78 posted:
I'm bored and my bff delivered her 2nd son last night so this got me thinking! For your most RECENT birth:

How many weeks/days were you at delivery?

C-section v. Vaginal:

Midwife or doctor:

Induction or on your own:

Pitocin:

Membrane rupture - on your own or with help:

Pain relieving meds - which ones:

Afterbirth - private room or roommate:

How long did you labor at home:

How long did you labor in the hospital:

How long for pushing:

How long after your water broke did you deliver:

Did things go the way you wanted?

Anything else?

cduffy responded:
I love polls!

1. 41 weeks exactly

2. vaginal

3. doc

4. induced

5. pitocin

6. had to have my water broke

7. epi!!!

8. private room

9. n/a - was induced

10. 22 hours...man that's a long time!

11. 2 hours

12. 7 hours (I think...this one's foggy)

13. Kinda...I didn't have to have a c-section!

14. I could only push on my left side with every other contraction because she wasn't tolerating the pushing well. Let me just tell you that wasn't fun! Turns out the cord was wrapped around her neck TWICE! No wonder she didn't want to come out...

wannababy20082009 responded:
How many weeks/days were you at delivery? 1 day in labor...3 days in hospital

C-section v. Vaginal: vaginal

Midwife or doctor: doctor

Induction or on your own: induction

Pitocin: yes

Membrane rupture - on your own or with help: nurse broke the water

Pain relieving meds - which ones: yes, dont know which

Afterbirth - private room or roommate: private

How long did you labor at home: 00000

How long did you labor in the hospital: 3 hrs 54 mins

How long for pushing: about 5 -10 mins

How long after your water broke did you deliver: about 1 hour

Did things go the way you wanted? It was so NICE

Anything else? I can't wait to do it AGAIN

Jackie03291 responded:
How many weeks/days were you at delivery? 38 Weeks

C-section v. Vaginal: C-section

Midwife or doctor: DR

Induction or on your own: A little of both, but mostly induction

Pitocin: Unfortunately

Membrane rupture - on your own or with help: On my own...didn't even know it!

Pain relieving meds - which ones: Epidural & whatever they give you for the c-section

Afterbirth - private room or roommate: Private room

How long did you labor at home: Apparently around 12 hours or so...I didn't know my water had broken

How long did you labor in the hospital: About 7 hours

How long for pushing: None...C-section

How long after your water broke did you deliver: 24 hours

Did things go the way you wanted? Nope

Anything else? I really was upset that I had to have the c-section...I had to wait over an hour by myself while the pain medication wore off before I could go and see my husband and baby...totally sucked!

jlcohen78 responded:
How many weeks/days were you at delivery? 39w/6d

C-section v. Vaginal: Vaginal

Midwife or doctor: Doctor --- but not my own and even the doctor that delivered barely made it in time.

Induction or on your own: On my own.

Pitocin: To deliver the placenta.

Membrane rupture - on your own or with help: On my own.

Pain relieving meds - which ones: None. Just breathing.

Afterbirth - private room or roommate: Private

How long did you labor at home: I questioned it for about an hour before I called my doctor. Then I waited an hour to go because I was still in denial. I thought I would be in more pain!

How long did you labor in the hospital: 3 hours after being admitted

How long for pushing: Maybe 30 seconds? IDK. I went from 6cm to delivering her in 9 minutes.

How long after your water broke did you deliver: My water broke and out popped her head on the next contraction! The doctor was about to break it since I was at 10cm but it exploded in his face instead! Ha!ha!ha!

Did things go the way you wanted? Yes. I wanted to go without any medical interventions and without pain meds and I did it. Much to my surprise!

Anything else? I probably would have delivered at home if it wasn't for DH and my family forcing me to go to the hospital! I really didn't feel any pain until 15 minutes before I delivered her.

wenandkeelynsmom responded:
How many weeks/days were you at delivery? 37

C-section v. Vaginal: C - Section

Midwife or doctor: Doctor

Induction or on your own: Scheduled c-section

Pitocin: n/a

Membrane rupture - on your own or with help: n/a

Pain relieving meds - which ones: Spinal block for the c-section then pain meds after for the incision

Afterbirth - private room or roommate: private room

How long did you labor at home: n/a

How long did you labor in the hospital: n/a

How long for pushing: n/a

How long after your water broke did you deliver: n/a

Did things go the way you wanted? YES - exactly except that LO had to spend about 8 hours in the NICU for breathing problems

Anything else? If I had known how much easier a c-section was I would have had one with the first baby too! I was able to get up and move around much easier in a shorter amount of time with far less pain that I did with the vaginal birth. The 1st delivery put me in such physical pain that I was being monitored for a stroke with each contraction because of the spikes in my BP every 90 seconds...

bella0715 responded:
How many weeks/days were you at delivery? 8 days early

Midwife or doctor: Dr.

Induction or on your own: All me baby!

Pitocin: Nope

Membrane rupture - on your own or with help: On my own

Pain relieving meds - which ones: epi all the way

Afterbirth - private room or roommate: private, thank goodness!

How long did you labor at home: 3 hours

How long did you labor in the hospital: 7 hours

How long for pushing: 30 minutes

How long after your water broke did you deliver: I can't remember, lol

Did things go the way you wanted? Absolutely

Anything else? I told DH after DS was born that we can't have any more children because this birth experience was so good it couldn't possibly go that well another time!

mtlmayhem responded:
How many weeks/days were you at delivery? I delivered exactly on my due date! 40 weeks.

Induction or on your own: Started on its own during Oprah on August 12th.

Pitocin: Yes

Membrane rupture - on your own or with help: It ruptured on its own and just one little edge had to have a little help.

Pain relieving meds - which ones: Yes, I dont know the name but it was VERY effective.

Afterbirth - private room or roommate: Roommates- yes, plural... yuk, Dh doesn't listen!! I was willing to pay for the private room!

How long did you labor at home: from 4pm on the 12th to 1am on the 13th.

How long did you labor in the hospital: from 1am to 837pm on August 13th.

How long for pushing: 1hour 37minutes

How long after your water broke did you deliver: Long- my water broke at 2am August 13th and I delivered at 837pm

Did things go the way you wanted? For the most part yes!

Anything else? They had to call the ansthesiologist 4 times. He was on call overnight and fell asleep...even after he was called the first 3 times. I was not impressed.

My delivery "nurse" was my brother's guy friend from highschool- can we say akward!

I loved the doc who delivered Donovan, even though it wasn't my doc... I actually loved her MORE than my own doc!

I wanted to hurt the resident who had to stitch me up...I told her off- and I did not hold back. She was trying to be a stand up comedian, and she was NOT funny. I was like just shut it and do your job. After 28 hours I was in NO mood for a comedy act.

waugamanjl responded:
How many weeks/days were you at delivery? 41 weeks 2 days

C-section v. Vaginal: vaginal

Midwife or doctor: doc

Induction or on your own: on my own ( they actually cancelled my induction due to no beds and I went into labor that same night)

Pitocin: yep

Membrane rupture - on your own or with help: with help

Pain relieving meds - which ones: stadol (I do not recommend) and epi

Afterbirth - private room or roommate: private

How long did you labor at home: maybe 20 mins

How long did you labor in the hospital: 9 hrs

How long for pushing: 18 mins

How long after your water broke did you deliver: maybe 5 hrs ( I don't really remember what time they broke my water).

Did things go the way you wanted? for the most part. Travis tore me and I really wanted to do a water birth but this time around labor was just too much for me.

Anything else?

roni090909 responded:
How many weeks/days were you at delivery? On delivered on my due date

Induction or on your own: My water broke on its own but I never started to contract

Pitocin: Yes

Membrane rupture - on your own or with help: On its own, while watching Desperate Housewives

Pain relieving meds - which ones: 2 EPIs the first one stopped working

Afterbirth - private room or roommate: Private room

How long did you labor at home: My water broke and we went to the hossy

How long did you labor in the hospital: My water broke at 7:30 and I never started to contract. They started the pitocin at 7am the next morning and I started to push at 6pm

How long for pushing: 3 hours of he!!

How long after your water broke did you deliver: A little over 24 hrs

Did things go the way you wanted? Aside from the pushing for 3 hours I wouldn't change a thing. My water broke the night before my DD and my DH's bday. So my DH got his birthday wish and beautiful son on his birthday. As he says the best present I will ever give him

nat0220 responded:
How many weeks/days were you at delivery? 40w5d

Midwife or doctor: Midwife

Induction or on your own: On my own (although I did have my midwife strip my membranes at my appointment earlier that day, I was already 3cm dilated and 90% effaced)

Pitocin: Nope!

Membrane rupture - on your own or with help: On my own, right before I delivered

Pain relieving meds - which ones: NONE! YIPPEE!

Afterbirth - private room or roommate: Roommate, but we had so many visitors, they moved us into a private room as soon as one was available

How long did you labor at home: 2hours

How long did you labor in the hospital: 6 hours

How long for pushing: 1 hour 45 minutes (his arm was stuck over his head)

How long after your water broke did you deliver: 15 minutes or so

Did things go the way you wanted? PERFECTLY!

Anything else? I love doing this, thanks Jamie, I love thinking back to that. It was such a beautiful experience.

alliegirl77 responded:
How many weeks/days were you at delivery? I went in Sunday night and we went home Wednesday morning so - 3 1/2 or so.

Induction or on your own: Induction

Pitocin: Yep

Membrane rupture - on your own or with help: they did it...OUCH

Pain relieving meds - which ones: Epidural 8 hours in...couldn't stand it any longer.

Afterbirth - private room or roommate: private room

How long did you labor at home: didn't (thankfully!)

How long did you labor in the hospital: 14 hours

How long for pushing: 36 minutes...I AM SO PROUD OF THAT!!!!

How long after your water broke did you deliver: I think around 3 hours I don't remember really.

Did things go the way you wanted? Sort of. They induced me a week earlier than I had expected so that kind of threw me off. I had a lot of bleeding after I gave birth to her so that didn't really go well, delayed my being able to hold her and put a sense of panic in the room that was a bit unexpected, but otherwise, yeah, it went pretty darned good. I didn't poop and that was truly my only goal other than to have her of course! LOL!

Anything else? I was very afraid of the actual birth part, but honestly it wasn't all that bad for me. I just remember thinking PUSH!!!! and i went for it. I told the Dr I would have her out in an hour and she said "no you won't girl!" because of where Sarah was. I told her "watch me" and I did...36 mins of pushing for first baby. I am a happy momma! Now, don't they go faster on your 2nd!!!! Yikes!!!

alliegirl77 responded:
Just realized I answer the first question wrong. LOL! I was 39 weeks along with her. there...correction submitted!

LizServo37 responded:
How many weeks/days were you at delivery? 38w2d

Midwife or doctor: Resident

Induction or on your own: On own

Pitocin: No

Membrane rupture - on your own or with help: On own

Pain relieving meds - which ones: None

How long did you labor at home: an hour or 2

How long did you labor in the hospital: 45 minutes

How long for pushing: 1 push

How long after your water broke did you deliver: immediately (Sydney basically came out)

Did things go the way you wanted? It was crazy fast, but, yes, it went well.

Anything else? Nope

L_Chelle responded:
How many weeks/days were you at delivery? 36w5d.....with twins!! I was so proud of myself!

C-section v. Vaginal: c-section

Midwife or doctor: doctor (perinatologist)

Induction or on your own: own

Pitocin: None

Membrane rupture - on your own or with help: No rupture

Pain relieving meds - which ones: None before my spinal in the OR

How long did you labor at home: 4 hours

How long did you labor in the hospital: 6 hours

How long for pushing: No pushing. unplanned c-section after 10 hours of labor

How long after your water broke did you deliver: No water breaking

Did things go the way you wanted? Not really

Anything else? Amazingly both my girls were born in the same minute!!! 4:29pm! Haylie had to stay in the NICU for a week and I didn't get to see her until the day after I delivered I didn't get to see Hannah until 4 hours after I delivered. Not exactly what I had in mind since 3 days earlier both my girls were perfect and healthy....but they are great now!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hey there! My name is Mandi, I'm 28 years old and just had my first baby girl on November 13th 2009. We live in Western Maryland in a small town....More

Helpful Tips

How to Increase Font Size!
Don't forget you can increase your font size by hitting and holding Ctrl on your keyboard and the plus sign at the same time. Could be ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.