Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What are your LO's eating?
An_222269 posted:
Every few months I seem to go through this anxious period about what DS is eating, or rather not eating. He's almost 10 months and still pretty much only gets baby food. He eats stage 3 baby foods so I know he can handle more textures and flavors, but I worry that he's not getting the experiences he needs to eat different "adult" type foods. He doesn't have any teeth yet either. Right now he usually gets oatmeal mixed with apples and prunes in the morning, along with his formula which he usually gets at least an hour or so before breakfast. For lunch he's at the sitters, but I think she usually gives him either a stage 3 food and some kind of stage 2 vegetable. A little later he gets formula. for a snack she gives him apple juice and animal crackers, though I'm thinking of sending some cheese chunks or something a little more nutritious for him, and then for supper he gets a stage three dinner and stage 2 fruit. He gets his bottle for the night at 7:30-7:45. He's a big boy, probably near 22 lbs now. My biggest problem is that I work full time and by the time I get home it's usually close to 5:45-6:00 and he's usually hungry for supper by then. And I hate to cook! (though I would do it for him of course). I feel like such a bad mom though! He should be eating so many different things by now but I simply don't know how or what to give him!

cujaybird responded:
We give dd tastes of lots of table food now, she's also 10 months. If I make a roast for dinner, she eats that with the veggies and meat cut up real small. She eats spaghetti cut up real small, lots of table food that way. She also still eats baby food fruits and veggies and yogurt. For finger foods she gets cheerios, puffs, yogurt melts, small pieces of fruit cut up, cheese, stuff like that. I would say just start giving him some bites of table food and see how he does with it. If you don't like to cook, you can get easy stuff like those bags of steam in the microwave veggies and stuff. Just make sure not to give the baby stuff with a bunch of additives in it or anything that's got a lot of added salt or sugar. Just experiment.

saikiyo replied to cujaybird's response:
My DD is still having cereal, stage 2 & 3 fruit, veggies, meat, yogurt and egg yolk. When we go out, she can has table food. I tried to steam meat without salt for her but she doesn't like it, she rather eats jarred meat. Recently, she eats less than before because of teething. Moreover, she wants to have table food but I am not sure can I give it to her as daily because table foods has salt. When you say "table food", does the food contain salt????

cujaybird replied to saikiyo's response:
Sometimes it does have salt. Sometimes I just feed her what we are eating, so she has been exposed to different seasonings and stuff. I do usually watch the salt though, like if I cook veggies I take out a portion for her before adding butter or salt or anything to them. Same thing with pasta. And I buy the "no salt added" canned vegetables and stuff and she eats those as finger foods. They are easy because they are already cooked and soft for when we are in a hurry.

NatureMonster responded:
you can start feeding him table food. you can over steam veggies so they are soft or just cut them up really small

I found this helpful when I was transitioning DS to more adult food

http://www.healthybabyboutique.com/subcategory.php?cid=41

cujaybird replied to NatureMonster's response:
Another website you might find helpful is www.wholesomebabyfood.com.

AggressivePoet replied to cujaybird's response:
My LO has been eating table food for a couple months now. He eats about anything that you are eatting. He is 11 months now and the only time that he gets baby food is for breakfast because we are usually in a rush in the morning. but besides that he has teethed yet so all gums. And he eats chips...uhh really everything. I know that all the other moms that I talk to are afraid to give there babys anything really in fear of them choking but your never going to find out with out letting them try.

tamaricek replied to AggressivePoet's response:
Since in my country (Serbia), I have a year off with full salary to nurse my baby girl, I have the opportunity to cook for her, so, every day something else is on the menu-We have milk morning, noon and evening and two solids. Lunch which I prepare by boiling meat with two types of vegetables, and no salt: chicken meat, spinach, cauliflower, kohlrabi, carrot, potato, zucchini, and so on. I add a baby cereal containing seven types of cereals, which is a kind of spice allowed for babies, too. Other solid is always fruit: banana, apple, pear, prunes, peaches, etc. And no juices and sweets yet. However, I can stick to this healthy menu, since I'm free all day. I have time for my gardening where I grow vegetables for her without pesticides and stuff, and also have started the pregnancy blog about my experience...I wonder what shall I have to renounce when I start to work...

Emmyl replied to tamaricek's response:
That is so awesome! A whole year off with full salary? That is defiantely a place that values people. I'm pregnant again, I'll be doing well to get my three months off without pay. They do let me keep my job though, so I guess that's a plus.

An_222270 replied to Emmyl's response:
Dear Emmyl,
We are a poor country (Serbia, Europe) but with a very high concience about children and babies. When pregnant or with small childran, you get to be first in the line, especially in a small town like mine.
Dare I tell you that for the first baby the government also gives you extra 800eur (average monthly pay is around 500eur), and a year off comletely charge free at the doctor's and the dentist's.
For the second around 1600eur and the third 1800eur, plus two years of full calary with the baby at home, and two years added to your working experience.If you get twins, you get extra 4000eur, and triplets 6000eur!
Of course, as a country we have other troubles, being in transition, but in this area, no complaints!
The fact is that in some countries profit became God. We are not there, yet, but it does seem contagious!

tamaricek replied to An_222270's response:
Sorry for not putting my name by accidet, the anonimous 28021 was me!
Oooops!
:)

tamaricek replied to Emmyl's response:
...Oh, yes, not to forget the benefit that if you do not work during pregnancy (that's optional), you stay at home and get 65% of your salary, that is if you work at the state-owned firm. If you work in a private firm, you'll probably just get sacked! That's what I meant about the hunger for profit being contegious...

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a single mom to Cadance, born on 3-27-09 by an emergency C-section. The cord was wrapped around her little neck 3 times and thank god, she is fin...More

Helpful Tips

My 9 Month old doesnt have a BM in 2 weeks
have a 9 month old who doesnt poop every day or every other day most of the time its only once a week but there are times where he goes 2 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.