Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Rear-facing carseat until age 2
QTpie2009 posted:
I took my DS to the pediatrician today for a follow up appointment and happened to ask her when I could turn DS's carseat to front facing as he has reached 20 lbs.now. She said recently they have changed to rear-facing until age two. Has anyone else heard this? Then I started thinking... what about their legs... there's no room for them since it's up against the back seat???

scperdomo responded:
Yes, I heard that they changed they changed it to 2, but I think they legal requirement is still 1yr and 20 lbs, but they are highly recommending 2... but I could be wrong, it could be legally 2 now.....

As far as their legs, I've seen kids older than 2 still rear-facing (extended rear facing) and they pretty much have their legs crossed "Indian style" and the logic is it is still safer because its easier to fix a broken leg, should that even occur, than to fix a broken neck, or worse.

All that being said, DS has been forward facing since 8 months. He was 20 lbs and seriously needed a new seat. I bought a convertible seat with every intention of rear facing him until I got the seat in the car. I underestimated the size of my back seat. I have a 2 door car and while I could have made the seat fit, it would have been a serious pain in the a$$ to climb into the back seat constantly to get him in and out. Not that my child's safety isnt important to me, but it worked for us and I liked being able to see him and him see me.

rvehar responded:
I haven't heard they legally changed it to 2. They do recommend you keep your child rear facing as long as possible. My oldest was rear facing until she was 16 months (only because she was not 20 lbs yet). My youngest is already 20 lbs, so I am sure we will change her to forward facing shortly after her 1st birthday. I wouldn't do it before that though. JMO

mol13 replied to scperdomo's response:
The old recommendation is 20 pounds AND 1 year, because before 1 year there's no chance that that they have the proper head/neck control, and even after 1 year, it is questionable.

My 2nd son has had to bend his legs in the carseat since he was 6 months old and has been in a convertible seat since he was 4 months old. There's no way I'm turning him around just for his legs being bent.

He is perfectly comfy sitting that way and much safer. My 1st son turned around in the seat when he was almost 2. He was 35 inches tall. I'll do the same or similar for my 2nd son.

saikiyo responded:
I find a very good and helpful article related rear-facing carseat. My baby is a fussing baby, she doesn't like rear-facing, she wants see me when I drive. She used to creaming and crying that are totally interrupted me. Therefore, I was planning to turn around the carsear when she is ONE. After I read this article, I changed my mind. Hope it helps:

http://babyproducts.about.com/od/carseats/qt/rear_facing.htm

pridgeon responded:
Wow, thanks ladies. I hadn't even heard about extending the time in a rear facing seat. I know my son is 7 and still in a booster seat. The law used to be 5 yrs or 50lbs, but I called the dmv when he turned 5 and they told me it was 80lbs! He'll be huge!

So I don't have an issue w extending my 9month old's stay in a rear facing seat.

kfitz responded:
I have a 9 month old that is still in a rear facing, but we have a new baby coming when she is 12 months old. I asked our pedi about it and she said as long as you have a good quality 5 point harness you can forward face at 20lbs and 1 year old. That is what we are going to do since we will have to buy new carseats for DD since ours only goes to 20lbs and her new one is forward facing only. I don't know if they do thid in all states, but don't hesitate to take your child to the firestation to have them check the safety of your carseat. They will also show you how tight to have them buckled in.
Me(31) DH(31) DD 8/2009 EDD 9/2010 Its a girl!

QTpie2009 replied to scperdomo's response:
Scperdomo- I had to borrow a friend's two-door car for one day and it was a PAIN getting DS in and out with the rear facing seat so I understand. I would totally do the same thing as you. Thanks everybody for your responses

bgabert responded:
This is a video I got sent to me.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kRP7ynNI8mI

Interesting stuff.
- Bri (24), Jarrod (28), Emery (June 15, 2009)

scperdomo replied to QTpie2009's response:
Yeah, it sucks. I constantly think about "what if", ya know? But he doesn't ride in my car very much, when we do all the running around, grocery shopping etc, we use DH's car, which used to also be a 2 door, but he recently bought a new Ford Fusion (love it!) and it's a 4 door and WHAT a difference! lol There is SO much space back there its crazy!

I feel like we should have traded my car in, but his was newer and his car payment now is only $30 more/month than for his Scion. I do not have a car payment with my car and definitely couldn't afford $375/month! Hopefully soon though!!

elegi23 replied to scperdomo's response:
DD was getting very, very carsick every time we rode in the car, so since she was almost 20lbs at her 9 month appt, the dr said as soon as she reached the 20lb mark to switch her to Forward facing. As soon as we did, she stopped getting sick, and IF by chance, we ever get stopped, we carry around a prescription from the doctor stating she can ride Forward Facing.

She loves it. Though she went through a stage where she figured out how to unsnap the plastic snap, and pull her arms out, but she hasn't done it recently, so I'm hoping she forgot. We've been giving her toys and snacks in the car, so she hasn't had time to mess with the snap.
Gini (22), DH (29), Eleora Marylin 07/23/09

sarahaguirre responded:
Lurking:

My DD is 16 months and still RF. She is a very tall girl. She's 34 inches and 27 lbs. The LAW is 1 year AND 20 lbs not OR. It so so so very unsafe to have a child under the age of one to FF since their neck control is very weak. IF you've ever been in a fender bender and had whip lash could you imagine what it would do to a 8 month old baby. It could easily break their neck if the car was hit hard enough. I got in a head on collision (not my fault BTW) when my DD was 4 months old and I had pretty bad injuries. Luckily she was fine and safe in her carseat and just got scared. I can't imagine being in an accident even at her age now. I don't want to sound harsh but sometimes the imconvenience is well worth the benefit. I could also imagine if someone had their child FF and was not an appropriate age or weight would get in some trouble if an accident were to accure. Oh and I should also mention that when we got into that wreck it was 1/4 mile away from my house and we were on our way to Target. So no matter how far or often you drive there is always that risk.

crunk05177 replied to sarahaguirre's response:
When I go to the carseat safety checks, they say that it is not a law yet (12 month is the law) but they recommended to wait until 18 months if not, longer. They said that a baby's neck is still not strong enough. When I asked about his legs, they said it would be better to have broken legs than a broken neck...which makes sense...but still scary!!

pregoncemore replied to scperdomo's response:
Each state is different, go on-line, and to a search of seat belt laws for your state. You will be able to pull up the state statute that explains what the law is for your state. I know for NC, it is 1 yr & less than 20 lbs must be rear facing, but 8 yrs or 80 lbs for car seat/booster seat. And SC is the same for rear facing, but 6 yrs or 60 lbs for car seat/booster seat. We live on the SC boarder and work in NC, so we have to know the laws for both states.

saywhat789 responded:
Yes, the AAP recommends rear-facing to the limits of the seat now. Most seats rear-face to 35lbs, some even more. Rear-facing is so much safer for a child. In the event of an accident the force is spread evenly through the entire back/neck and head of a rear-facing child. Whereas with a forward facing child the neck takes all of the force. There are some EXCELLENT crash test videos of rear-facing vs. foward-facing seats on Youtube. Definitely worth a visit. www.car-seat.org is also an excellent resource for any questions you may have.

With that being said, my DD will rear-face to the limits of her seat.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Jen (32) DH (35) Madi (01/28/09) And she's enough for us!

Helpful Tips

How to Increase Font Size!
Don't forget you can increase your font size by hitting and holding Ctrl on your keyboard and the plus sign at the same time. Could be ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.