Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
iron overload
chesleigh posted:
I have an eight month old son and I believe that he has an iron overload. Now I know that many of you are probably skeptical, but here are the indicators.

- he has had gray/black stools - which can be too much iron, my mother in law had a similar experience with her son.
- also we have just found out a couple months ago that hemochromatosis runs in the family (on my husbands side).

Now about my son: I exclusively breastfed for the first 6 months. Then he started having bottles on days that I worked (which is Tuesday and Thursday). Also he has a dairy sensitivity - there is a lot of dairy allergies in the family. So I had to take dairy out of my diet completely - so he gets soy formula.

I need to get low iron soy formula - does anyone have any information about this?

kfitz responded:
I do have hemochromotosis and I have yet to exhibit any symptoms yet. In fact, I was anemic with my last bloodwork b/c I watch my iron so closely. If your son has hemochromotosis he would not be able to excrete the iron so if it is iron in his stools he does not have the disease. Typically the disease will not cause side effects at such an early age though since it takes decades for the iron to build up in the system. It usually isn't until a person is between 30 and 50 years old that there may start to be positive bloodwork. You can have a DNA test done to check for the genes for the disease, and should probably have his stool sample checked before you decrease the iron in his formula. You should never switch to a low iron formula without consulting his doctor first. You may even want to consult a hematologist to have the blood tests run. He should have bloodwork done at least annually to determine if he does have too much iron and then they can determine if he needs to have his diet adjusted or just to have blood drawn on a normal basis. There are 2 blood tests that need to be done to check if he is having symptoms yet. Serum transferrin saturation and Serum ferritin. Make sure if your pediatrician is running the tests that both tests get run. Just because these tests come back normal does not mean he doesn't have the disease, it just means he isn't exhibiting symptoms. The DNA test will test for the genes. If his genes are the same I think there is an 80% chance he will get the disease, but it is treated by getting regular blood drawn to decrease the amount of iron in the blood. The Mayo Clinic has great information on their website about the disease.
Me(31) DH(31) DD 8/2009 EDD 9/2010 Its a girl!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello All!!! I cannot believe how fast my little guy is growing and that I am already in this community! I have been with my Hubby for 12 years and we...More

Helpful Tips

How to Increase Font Size!
Don't forget you can increase your font size by hitting and holding Ctrl on your keyboard and the plus sign at the same time. Could be ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.