Skip to content
I'm okay with it
elegi23 posted:
DD will NOT be walking by her 1st birthday, unless she steps it up (LOL). She is wonderful at cruising furniture, pulling herself, but she will not stand up by herself, which I know she can, b/c we've tricked her into clapping while she was holding onto the coffee table. When we try to make her walk by holding our hands, she sits down and will NOT move. But you know what? I'm perfectly fine with it! I was so excited for her to sit up first, and crawl first and say her first word, but I honestly wish that she didn't grow up so fast. She is growing at the rate she's supposed to, she is not behind, I just know that she will not be walking on her 1st birthday. As much as everyone is saying, "Oh, smart babies will walk by their 1st birthday blah blah blah." She is very smart. She knows where her nose is, and her mouth, and can say a few words already, but I'm not ready to chase a toddler around the house. I'm perfectly content with her staying a baby a few more months.
Gini (22), DH (29), Eleora Marylin 07/23/09

bgabert responded:
I totally know how you feel, Gini!

Emery was in a cast for 3 months and is now in a brace, so her gross motor development is a bit behind. She can sit up, climb onto stuff, crawl, etc, but she can't pull up or stand up, or walk at all yet.

My SIL and I had our kids 3 hours apart and her son has been walking for two months. I constantly hear the same stuff about being smarter about walking earlier and I think it's all bull.
Emery says 7 words, a follows commands, whereas Kaden just sort of stares at you. They progress at different levels! Emery is mentally stronger, and Kaden is physically stronger. Neither is "smarter" than the other. Argh. This REALLY irks me..

I enjoy that my baby isn't that mobile yet, she still LOVES sitting on my lap and playing with me, not running away!
- Bri (24), Jarrod (28), Emery (June 15, 2009)

Bailey98029 responded:
My DD won't be walking either. She will be 1 on July 28th and isn't even fully crawling yet. She definitely doesn't even pull up or cruise. I figure she'll probably be walking around 15 months and that's fine by me. My DS never crawled so he started walking at 11 months and life gets more complicated. I'm happy she's pretty containable right now! It totally has no bearing on how smart they are or anything like that.

elegi23 replied to Bailey98029's response:
I honestly thought I was going to be upset. I am one of "those people" that are very competitive and I wanted my daughter to do everything first. I have a coworker that has a grandson a week younger than DD and he took 4 steps the other day, and in the back of my mind, I was thinking DD why aren't you taking four steps yet. But, I really wish she didn't grow up so fast. I miss just holding her watching her sleep. I love that when I get home from work she's content to sit on my lap.
Gini (22), DH (29), Eleora Marylin 07/23/09

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi my name is Mandy. My husband and I have been married for 4 years. We were trying to have a baby for 3 years because I had PCOS. Finally with 2 year...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.