Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
11 month old sleep issues
An_222278 posted:
My little guys is 11 months old and after two months of successfully sleeping through the night, he is now not going down at night and when he finally does, he is waking up at least once during the night. He commutes with my husband every day to day care (about 45 mins) and often sleeps on the commute...could this be a problem?? He has an irregular napping schedule during the day, sometimes he will, sometimes he won't...when he does its for a different length of time. I can't really find a pattern...any ideas??

elegi23 responded:
Babies flourish on schedules! I try my hardest to let my DD stay on a schedule, but we always have days where it's off. I don't think it matters on the times of naps, but how much that he naps. Honestly, if lets say he naps later in the day, he'll probably go to sleep later. But he could be waking up for many many many reasons. Just to name a few, he could be napping too long during the day (babies sleep cycles change around 9-10 months and they need more/less sleep depending on the baby and they have to adjust to that. He could be teething. He could be having night terrors. You didn't mention if he was waking up really upset, or if he was staying awake, or going right back to sleep. If he goes to daycare, see if maybe they can keep him up an extra nap or something. For example, my DD will be 11 months next week. She goes to bed at 11pm, (I breastfeed) so she wakes up at 6 am for a snack, when I get up for work, then she goes back to bed with DH until 8 or 9ish, and then they take a nap about 1pm for an hr to 2 hours. Now that she is getting her 1st tooth, she has been waking up more, and sleeping longer, but I am not worried.
Gini (22), DH (29), Eleora Marylin 07/23/09

paytonsmommy09 responded:
Payton was having the same problems. She was going to bed between 7-730 and by 9pm she was up and ready to whip the world. So we moved her bed time to 8-830 and she has started sleeping through the night again. I have noticed her nap time has become shorter....which sucks when mommy needs a break.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I need help planning my wedding!

Helpful Tips

How to Increase Font Size!
Don't forget you can increase your font size by hitting and holding Ctrl on your keyboard and the plus sign at the same time. Could be ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.