Skip to content
Food ideas for DD
yoho_girl posted:
Hi, my daughter is 10 months old and has been doing pretty well with regular food, to a point now she doesn't really want baby food. Here is the problem: I don't really cook. It's just her and I and I usually get the frozen dinners or whatever (embarassing) I want to start cooking because I need to lose the baby weight for work and I want her to have good eating habits as well. Are there some good websites with good recipes for kids? or any suggestions on what to give her besides mac and cheese stuff? I would rather it be things I can cook for the two of us so I'm not making two different meals. Thanks! P.S. she has 8 teeth already and knows how to use them so it doesn't have to be stuff she has to gum.

Bailey98029 responded:
We give my DD whatever we are eating (she's 11 months) and just give it to her accordingly. If it's a chicken breast, we just cut it in small pieces. If it's a turkey sandwich we just pull parts out for her to nibble on. The only things to avoid are probably spicy stuff, straight tomatoes can give some babies bad diaper rashes (acidic), citrus fruits, and any allergens that you are avoiding (strawberries, peanuts, etc). otherwise, find some good healthy recipes that you would like and give them to her too.

I'm a really picky eater and didn't want my kids to grow up with my hangups. I'm pretty aware of introducing them to things I avoid. I buy the yogurts flavors that I would avoid, at parties I give them the stuff I don't love, etc. I think it's important for us to put things like that as a top priority so I think it's great that you are wanting to try to introduce some good new foods to her. Plus, once you start cooking, as she gets older that will be a great time for you guys to do dinner together and sit down and spend some time talking, you know? It's definitely a good habit to get in when she's young so it's something she'll always know.

Bailey98029 responded:
Hi, sorry. As far as suggestions go, I would just grab a cookbook or 2 and after she's in bed, flip thru them, mark some recipes that sound good,. You can cut plan a few for the week, make a shopping list and give a few a shot. you can just cut them in 1/2 if they are meant to feed a full family. They have cookbooks that are specifically for cooking for just 2 people as well. Also, the Taste of Home little booklet thing at grocery stores (by the checkout a lot of times) is all great family recipes submitted by people. It's kind of a hit or miss magazine for me and since it's like $7 or $8 I make sure to flip thru it and make sure there are enough recipes in there to make it worth it. They are in recipe card format so you can just tear them out and add them to a recipe box so they are easy to access! Betty Crocker also has some good, easy, basic recipes so give that a shot too!

yoho_girl replied to Bailey98029's response:
Thank you so much. I want her to know what "family dinner" is all about. I've been feeding her first then I eat and she "begs" for my food too. It's kind of cute. So I figured we'll just start eating together and I think it's really important for kids to have that. Especially her and I, I'm a single mom so we need anything to help strengthen us and help her too. I was afraid I was going to have to buy all special ingredients for her etc when she started eating real solids. I don't use a lot of spices in my cooking anyways, just a little seasoning for flavor so I don't think that will be an issue. Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

jeniece125 replied to yoho_girl's response:
I don't have any recipes but When we have spaghetti, I give my DD some noodles and cheese, chicken, steak, basically whatever we eat. but if you have a george forman, chicken and steaks are easy. I like to give DD some meat (or fish), a veggie, and a friut just so she gets a lil bit of everything

Spotlight: Member Stories

I need help planning my wedding!

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 10 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.