Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
My one year old is clingy!!
dpotterhoyle posted:
Hi! My one year old is so clingy that I cannot even cook dinner, clean, use the restroom, shower, or do anything just about. I must get things done. I keep him on my hip all day. Otherwise he climbs all over me and clings to my legs crying. He pitches a fit to put him down. Usually this is all the time. Rarely he lets me actually get things done. I give him lots of love and attention. He has always been this way and I thought he would grow out of it. I thought to let him cry. Its hard for me to let him cry because it makes me feel bad, but he never stops. He just continues to cry until i pick him up. Please give me some pointers on how to show him to play alone, or do things alone for just even a little bit at a time. Maybe I could get a load of laundry done or get dinner cooked. Thanks!

saywhat789 responded:
It's the age and stage!! Please let me know if you find a solution!! ;)

My daughter finally started to venture off on her own just recently (13.5 months) and it's only for a short amount of time (and not when it's convienent!)

Right now I stick her in the crib screaming so I can shower for 2 seconds. *sigh*

Have you though about getting a baby carrier to wrap him up to you? A ring sling or Beco or something. Then you can wear him and get something done at the same time.

jwick407 replied to saywhat789's response:
omg I am so totally in the same boat - in the last couple of weeks it has become almost unbearable ... my LO does the same thing and just follows me around crying until I pick her up... as soon as I try to do something other than play with her she gets all clingy - my husband can't do anything with her when he's home either bc she only wants to be with me.... she is 11mo old - i hope she grows out of it soon ....

Spotlight: Member Stories

Tiffany 25 DH 33 DD 3/10/09 Phoenix AZ

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.