Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Can't get into a doctor - is this legal??? PLEASE HELP
    jermanda23 posted:
    My son was in the hospital a month ago for neck pain. Through tests we discovered it was a hematoma. The neuro-surgeon was horrible to us - he lied to us about some tests and accused us of abusing my son. We let him go and asked to see another dr. on the team. Now, the entire neuro group at this hospital has refused to see us. They sent us a certified letter terminating our care. We're trying to see another neurologist in the area but they won't take us either. We have been home for a month with my son in a neck collar, without explanation as to why this could have happened (other than abuse), no idea how this will be treated if it doesn't heal on its own. There are vertebra out of alignment at his spine and there is possible spinal cord damage. The original horrible doctor said that if it doesn't heal he will need to have the bones fused which could cause paralysis later in life. This is very serious - we have been through absolute hell and we still don't have a doctor to see if he is healing or what will happen if he doesn't heal. Isn't this patient abandonment? Is this even legal for everyone to refuse care when it's such a serious condition? We're terrified and we have no answers. We are considering taking legal action soon. Has anyone else been through this with a doctor?
    Anmar22 responded:
    That's horrible, I really don't have any advice, but I'm sorry you're going through this. How could they do that to someone? I hope you find help soon.
    Laney0705 responded:
    That's just terrible. Can you talk to your pediatrician and have them recommend you to another neuro-surgeon. Maybe you can go to a doctor a little farther away. I really hope that you get a resolution. Your DS needs the best care he can get.
    Chris_WebMD_Staff responded:
    Jermanda I thought I posted this back days ago, but I don't see my post now. Please ask this question on our Parenting Community as well.

    Spotlight: Member Stories

    I'm a first time mom of a gorgeous, intelligent and loving baby named Aidan. He's 9 months now. I'm a stay at home mom that is open to new...More

    Helpful Tips

    How to Increase Font Size!
    Don't forget you can increase your font size by hitting and holding Ctrl on your keyboard and the plus sign at the same time. Could be ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    11 of 22 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.