Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Whole Milk
An_222281 posted:
Is it safe to give my 11 month baby whole milk now.

Laney0705 responded:
I've been giving my DD whole milk since she was 10 months. I just giver her a some in a sippy cup once a day. It's usually with lunch. She loves it.

I think it's better to start them prior to just having them go straight to milk at 12 months. That's gotta be a shock to their system. I also wanted to make sure she had no allergic reactions.

BreezysMama replied to Laney0705's response:
Hi, New mommy on the boards. I was just wondering this also. My little girl is about to turn 11 months and she is on the Simulac Sensitive formula. Does that make a difference on what kind of real milk she can have? I'm afraid she is going to be lactose intolerant now.

Chris_WebMD_Staff replied to BreezysMama's response:
Always talk to your pediatrician before starting baby on whole milk. He/she might have reasons to start or not start right now. Just give him a call to be sure.

saywhat789 responded:
I asked my ped about this and he said no - the amount of sodium in cow's milk is too much for their systems. I'd stick to the formula or breastmilk for another month.

leecar579 responded:
It is ok, but you have to be careful with which milk you choose. I had to start my daughter on whole milk when she was 6 months old, because she is allergic to formula and I just couldn't make enough milk to give her. We started her out on goat milk first for just a few days and then we saw an allergist (she had a bad reaction to the formula) and he told us to go ahead and give her whole milk, but to make sure it was organic. We have been giving her Horizon whole milk since then and she has done great. I just make sure she gets milk without all the hormones added.

Spotlight: Member Stories

The story I need to tell is the one about fighting infertility, through the two miscarriages and finally the light at the end of a long, dark tunnel-t...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 10 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.