Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Bottle use
mav07 posted:
What age is appropriate for a child to stop using a bottle? What are some methods to use in order to ween a child off of the bottle at bedtime?

attleysmom responded:
It really depends on the baby. I would say most babies are off bottles between 12-15 months.

My DD was off bottles during the day right around 12 months but still got a nighttime bottle until about 14 months. DH always did the night bottles and it was his time with her. They only reason I got him to stop is we were going on a week long vacation and I refused to take bottles/formulas with us. DD took a pacifier so we just gave her the pacifier instead and she was fine. We did do it over a long weekend (Memorial Day) so we had an extra day where we didn't have to be up for work or anything. I actually tried it a month earlier when DH was out of town for business and it was fine.

My DS who is almost 11 months I think is going to be harder. He also takes a pacifier but loves his night bottle.

Suggestions are to replace the milk/formula with water and then decrease the amount of water. Another is to transition over to a cup of milk/bedtime snack after pajamas. You could also try a new stuffed animal or blanket as a comfort item. Sometimes changing the order of the bedtime routine can help so they realize it is a new routine.

It can definitely take some time to figure out what works best for each child.

GL.
Me - 36, DH - 42, DD - 2 (born 4/08), DS - 9 months (born 2/10)

Spotlight: Member Stories

I need help planning my wedding!

Helpful Tips

My 9 Month old doesnt have a BM in 2 weeks
have a 9 month old who doesnt poop every day or every other day most of the time its only once a week but there are times where he goes 2 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.