Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
? about my 9-month old
jus4shiron posted:
Hello All, I'm trying not to let growth charts discourage me, however my son is 9 months and he weighs 17 lbs 29 1/2 inches. Compared to most babies I've seen, my baby is on the smaller side. Developmentally he is on target: crawling, standing up and letting go, babbling mama and dada, drinking periodically from a silicone sippy cup, he recognizes his name, and he can imitate some of the things we do. On another note, he's had teeth trying to come in at the top and bottom since around 4-5 months, but neither have pushed through yet, he does not like textured food, only soft foods that he can swallow. Are there any comforting points of view about his weight? His doctor does not seem concerned. Should he be eating finger foods right now without teeth?

cyberkat99 responded:
I wouldn't worry too much about the size of your son if his doctor isn't. It looks like he's doing great developmentally! I gave up comparing our daughter (almost 9 months) to other babies. I've seen some smaller than her and some much larger than her and younger. I try to concentrate on what's right for her, no baby will be the same. I wouldn't worry about him not liking textured foods, just keep trying them every so often. It could just be the teething and maybe the textured stuff irritates his gums, or he just doesn't like it. Our daughter has been showing signs of teething since about 3 months and finally cut her first tooth last weekend. Hang in there!

jus4shiron replied to cyberkat99's response:
Thank you so much, that was very comforting. I guess it can be hard not to compare your baby to others, but I guess I have to try and let it go.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Mom of two girls first girl is 8yrs and second is almost 1yrs old three more weeks. We live in Oklahoma.

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.