Skip to content
New dad who needs help please
newdad71 posted:
My girlfriend and I have a 9mo old who was born at 31 weeks. She nurses him 3-6 times a day which is something that I think is awesome and am proud of her for doing.

My problem is this: when it's my turn to watch him (very rare) and he gets sleepy he's been conditioned to 1) nurse 2) take a nap. He does not sleep unless these conditions are met or we're in the car once in a while. Since I am unable to nurse am I crazy to think that I should be able to feed him then have him nap or that he should be able to nap on his own? Because the info I'm getting from her is that 'all babies only sleep after nursing or drinking milk from the bottle' and that it's weird that I think he should be able to nap without nursing.

She previously told me that babies don't learn until they're 6 to 8mo so you can understand why I'm skeptical.

Thank you for reading and I welcome all feedback you can give me.

kay_kay75 responded:
Yes he should be able to sleep without nursing or getting a bottle unless he is hungry. Do you have him on a feeding schedule? If he is not on a feeding schedule this might be something you should try to do, also is he getting any solid foods? What about water?
Also the baby should not fall asleep everytime with a bottle or nursing because that teaches them that is the only way to sleep and can cause problems when they get their teeth, it can cause them to have major dental issues. This is something I urge you to discuss with the Pediatrician if your gf doesn't believe what you are saying.

newdad71 replied to kay_kay75's response:
Thank you kay_kay. We are not on a set feeding schedule (not my choice) but he is eating some solid foods and is getting some water.

We have met with our pediatrician and she agreed with you. She also told us (because gf WILL NOT put our son in his own bed so he sleeps with us much to my chagrin) how to get him to sleep on his own. Well, the gf doesn't agree with our pediatrician (someone who was recommended by the NICU nurses) saying 'doctors dont know everything' so we're seeing a NEW pediatrician this week.

I guess her plan is to keep searching until she finds someone who agrees with everything she (the gf) says.

kay_kay75 replied to newdad71's response:
I feel for you newdad71, hopefully eventually she will come around because sleeping in bed with you all is very dangerous. My suggestion is to try to get him on a feeding schedule or things might get very hard for you all. I will keep you in my thoughts.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hey there! My name is Mandi, I'm 28 years old and just had my first baby girl on November 13th 2009. We live in Western Maryland in a small town....More

Helpful Tips

My 9 Month old doesnt have a BM in 2 weeks
have a 9 month old who doesnt poop every day or every other day most of the time its only once a week but there are times where he goes 2 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.