Skip to content
Birthday party planning...
sdadkin posted:
Birthday planning is so frustrating! I received a catalog in the mail from Birthday Express. It was reasonably priced with coupons on the back and on their website they have 99 cent shipping until April 1st. I found a cute little monkey theme which I thought would work out perfect because I had already bought these monkey favors on clearance after Valentine's Day (pencil, ruler, eraser, sharpener). They were blue and only 25 cents each and didn't look like they were from Valentine's Day at all. Well last night after the boys were in bed I was on their website picking out everything I thought we would need when SO sits down and says he doesn't like it. He says it reminds him of DS1's first Halloween costume. He is almost 3 years old and he was only 3 months old then! So now we are back to square one on the theme. SO liked the John Deere theme but didn't really like the decorations. Then he said he like the Dr Seuss theme but I don't really care for it (mainly because I think it will cost too much). After I said I didn't really care for it then he said he was tired of looking. Mason's birthday is just 5 weeks away! We really have to get things figured out!

zabroza86 responded:
That's a big toss up. Why exactly doesn't your DH NOT like the monkey theme? If the less you have to spend on decorations and gifts then the more you can concentrate on the place you will be hosting the party and the food. I personally don't think that anybody would remember what your LO wore when he was 3 months old unless you or DH bring it up. I wish you the best of luck and hope you come to a conclusion....soon.

sdadkin replied to zabroza86's response:
Well I got to looking at the Birthday Express catalog again and I guess the Dr Seuss stuff is pretty cute. And it does have 1st Birthday on the decorations and balloons. It's not as expensive as I thought it was either. I guess I was kind of set on doing the monkey theme and that's why I didn't want to give Dr Seuss a chance. I think I can just get some solid color napkins, plates, cups and maybe tablecloths to match and just buy the actual Dr Seuss decorations from Birthday Express. And I can get some cheaper things for the treat bags. I thought about putting an actual Dr Seuss book in each of the treat bags if I can actually find some cheap enough.

jminer333 replied to sdadkin's response:
I have decided on a Mickey Mouse theme. I get decorations from birthday express and from wilton.com. I just get the basics for decorations, then colored plates, napkins, etc to match. It will save you a ton of money rather than buying all the paper products with your charcter of choice on them.

sdadkin replied to jminer333's response:
My oldest son turns 3 in July and he is really into Mickey Mouse Club House right now so we are going to do his party in Mickey Mouse. I had the same idea as you about getting regular cups, napkins, plates... The ones that match the theme are so expensive! Like $4 for an 8 pack of plates. It's crazy! I have never been on wilton.com I will have to check it out.

jminer333 replied to sdadkin's response:
Wilton has a lot of things like the cupcake tins that match, cake pans, and the little candies in MM shape for the tops of cupcakes. You can also get the icing coloring for MM from them.

mrswarner responded:
have 3 kids working on my 4th one and i have found out that if you start planning 8 months before their birthdays then things will be much smoother i freaked out when i was my oldest sons first birthday i hadn't a clue but my step mom and dad were there to help me and with my second one it was a breeze. my oldest is 6 and my youngest is about to turn 1 years old in a couple of months and i already have a theme picked out, and if all else fails do it outside or at a park and go with the happy birthday nature theme the kids will love it especially if they are outside kids.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hey there! My name is Mandi, I'm 28 years old and just had my first baby girl on November 13th 2009. We live in Western Maryland in a small town....More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.