Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Separation Anxiety
jminer333 posted:
Is anyone else LO having separation anxiety? Just this week my LO, now 10 months, has become very upset and emotional whenever I leave a room, leave him at daycare, or even leave him with his dad while I run errands. He's always been a mama's boy, but I was always able to leave him at daycare once in a while without him even noticing. Now he screams when I go to put him down and holds onto my jacket so tight I have to pull his hands off. Any suggestions as to how to deal with this?

zabroza86 responded:
My LO has been doing that for about a month now. I just let him know that I am going to work and will be back to pick him up. I also learned not to "walk away" from him (if I were to leave him in the living room in his saucer) but to walk backwards so he still sees me....and WHEN he does cry I just talk loud to let him know that I'm still there. It's been weird but I've heard that every LO goes through this.

jminer333 replied to zabroza86's response:
I have also heard that they go through this. I just wasn't expecting it to be so extreme. Even if his dad is in the room with him, he starts crying when I leave, and vice versa with his dad.

wmatto83 replied to jminer333's response:
Same here! Actually my LO does fine when I leave daycare but when we are at home and I am cleaning and he sees me walk by he can be completely fine and then once he sees me WHAAAA! he whails! I bascially have to put him in the same room whereever I am. Does the same thing when his dad is in the room he crys for me. I was told it is a phase and it can be a long one.
ME 28 DH 39 DS born 5/24/11 2 fury sons both 5

jminer333 replied to wmatto83's response:
Let's hope it doesnt last too long. My husband gets very frustrated when our LO cries for me all the time, even when he's just gotten home from work. Our son will give him a hug and then paw his way out of my hubby's arms and back over to me. If my hubby is holding him and I come into the room he will cry until i hold him. It can get pretty frustrating.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi my name is Mandy. My husband and I have been married for 4 years. We were trying to have a baby for 3 years because I had PCOS. Finally with 2 year...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.