Skip to content
Middle ear infection
GaryPrague posted:
Hi All,

I live in the Czech Republic, though am a Brit. I have a 9 month old boy called James. Recently, he had a fairly harsh round of flu, which left him sniffling and pulling at one ear. My wife took him to the doctor who sent him to an ENT. The ENT took a quick look, then, telling my wife to hold James tight, proceeded to pierce his eardrum!

Now, to me this seems really strange, but I am being told here by other Czechs that it is completely normal in this country. Can anyone please confirm to me that it really is?

Personally, I would've thought the doc should have given him a dose of antibiotics, and if he was to do something like that, then under controlled conditions, but nothing. He just went ahead and burst his eardrum.

Please, if anyone can help me understand if this is normal or not. I'm going crazy with worry here.

Thanks!

Gary

Take the Poll

Is this a normal procedure?
  • Yes but only after all other options have been eliminated
  • Yes whenever there is an infection
  • Heard of it, but wouldn't do it
  • No, that's definitely not right.
vote
View Poll Results

Spotlight: Member Stories

I need help planning my wedding!

Helpful Tips

How to Increase Font Size!
Don't forget you can increase your font size by hitting and holding Ctrl on your keyboard and the plus sign at the same time. Could be ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.