Skip to content
Baby sleep habits
dani62703 posted:
My son is a little over 10 months old and just started sleeping overnight a few days ago. This is because we bought a play yard to corral him from getting into everything in the daytime and he fell asleep around 10 pm and slept all night. He has done this for the last three nights. He has a crib that right now is in our room because we are helping someone out but he screams himself to sleep unless I rock him to sleep and then he just screams when I go to lay him down until he falls back asleep. He wakes up multiple times throughout the night and we eventually had to put him in our bed so we could get a few straight hours of sleep. Now we just put a monitor in the living room and sleep in our room(my husband stayed up the first two nights) and are seeing what happens. I don't know if this is normal or if it is something I should be worrying about. When our roomie moves out should we just stick with what is working and put the superyard in his room for him to sleep on the floor? It just doesn't seem like it would be that comfortable for me!

leftcoastgirl responded:
If my experience with my older LO and now with our 10-month-old is any indication, babies' sleep patterns change a lot. Sometimes they'll sleep all night for a while and then something happens - teething, illness, nighttime anxiety - and they'll be back to waking up. Personally, I'm in the "do whatever works" school of thought. If he's sleeping fine in the living room, go for it. If he starts sleeping fine in the crib, fine. If he needs to be rocked or be in your bed, also fine. His needs are going to change, so no one thing is going to work forever.

Also, just to give you a little pep talk, my four-year-old didn't sleep through the night until she was around 2. Now she's like a teenager - once she's asleep it's just about impossible to wake her up!

SuperMom2013 responded:
Trust me I've asked this question myself, as a first time mom with a 11 1/2 month old I've been there. Best thing to do is do what works for you. If you are getting sleep and your baby seems happy that's all that matters. I have no clue how my son sleeps in the positions that he does, but sleep is sleep and we all need it. My son was sleeping from, 9:30 pm to 8 or 9 the next morning, o how i loved it. Now we are teething, not so fun but patterns come and go. We all find what works best for us, there is no right or wrong way if it works for you. I would stop bringing the baby to bed with you in my experience you lose more sleep because your waking up threw the night hoping to god you haven't rolled over or the baby has crawled off the bed. You and you partner need that bonding time for yourselves, you may not get that during the day.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello All!!! I cannot believe how fast my little guy is growing and that I am already in this community! I have been with my Hubby for 12 years and we...More

Helpful Tips

How to Increase Font Size!
Don't forget you can increase your font size by hitting and holding Ctrl on your keyboard and the plus sign at the same time. Could be ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.