Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    need help understanding
    MummaKaren posted:
    My son is 14 years of age but has the mentality of a 7 year old. I have been saying for years something is wrong. I have felt like a mother standing in a crowded room screaming at the top of my lungs onto deaf ears. Even the school system has written me off as just an over dramatic mother. Now I finally have someone listening to me... and I'm in need of guidance.... i need help understanding what this could mean for my child.. what do i need to get the school to do for him,
    pmw68 responded:
    Hi MummaKaren,

    The short answer to your question is, it depends on what you are concerned about? Are you suspecting he has autism? Is your son at grade level?

    One thing I know for sure, is that you need to trust yourself so don't ever discount the power of a parent's intuition. Who is the individual listening to you? If they are in the school system then they need to begin recommending options. There are usually advocacy non-profit agencies in each state. That would be the best place to begin. If you are looking to get your child eligible for special education services, then you need to request that the school performs assessments for eligibility. As part of IDEA, there should be a battery of assessments the child goes through. You need to discuss this with your son's principal and psychologist. Academic achievement isn't the only area of progress a student should make. The state is required to target social/emotional development as well. The ultimate goal is to teach children to become independent, productive adults. If your child's functional/social skills are not progressing, the school needs to address those weaknesses.

    I hope that helps a bit. If this is all too overwhelming, seek the help of an advocate. They understand the law and will work to get the help your son needs.

    Good Luck!
    aspecialist responded:
    I know it is hard as a parent, but do not lose hope. There are Naturopathy expert that will treat your son. There are different natural remedies that your son can use and undergoes to determine what causes for his brain disorder. Dr. Sundardas can help you and your son. He is a Naturopathy expert based in Singapore. Check his website,

    Helpful Tips

    Be the first to post a Tip!

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.