Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started
My Medicine

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up

How to bring up the subject with family
An_222261 posted:
My nephew is 2 1/2. Cannot speak a single word, does not respond to his own name, does repetitive motions with his hands, does not interact with any kids not even his brother, does not respond to stimulus, screams if you touch him, does not eat..literally...he lives off PediaSure. Has every sign of autism out there. It breaks my heart. My sister in law just thinks he has a speech delay and has him working with a speech therapist. I think she has just lived with it so long, she thinks his other behavior is normal. I am a parent and I promise you it is not. I feel like a monster, because I do not how to deal with him when I babysit. I know that early intervention would mean a WORLD of difference to him and it kills me to see them wasting time.

What do you think? How do I suggest testing to her? Or do I keep my mouth shut?
mlw216 responded:
I find it hard to believe that he is completely living off of pediasure and her doctor isn't concerned or convinced there is something else going on. Are you sure she does not know there is something off and is just not admiting it to anyone?
pmw68 responded:
Do you think you could have a heart to heart with your brother? It is a touchy subject because no one wants to hear that their child is not typical. If you could speak to your brother about your concerns and offer some websites to check out. I don't know where you live, but there are usually early intervention programs that have websites. All the parent needs to do is call and ask for a consultation. If you approach out of love, do much of the leg work for them so they would be a little more open to making "just a call", and listen, that is all you can do. There are so many supportive sites that your sister-in-law and brother can find. Early intervention is key, and a diagnosis can be an open door for hope. As Temple Grandin ( a famous woman with aspergers) said: He is different, not less. I know I will never count my son out of the game. He has made such strides since he was 2 1/2. It is different for all children, but there is more help out there than ever, more support for families, and hopefully a direction toward acceptance. Please let us know how it goes.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.