Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
6 year old with vaginal irritation
emmi0120 posted:
My 6 year old daughter is constantly pulling and digging in her vaginal area. She gets very red and raw and I am not sure why. I took her to the doctor and they told me to not wash her genitals with soap, make sure she wears cotton underwear and not to let her stay in the tub for to long. I have done all of these things and she is still getting irritated. She complains that she hurst and we use diaper rash cream on the exterior and that seems to help relieve some of her discomfort. Anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this? Could it be a yeast infection at 6 years old?

An_222161 responded:
What kind of diet does your daughter have? I can always tell when my DD is not drinking enough water and too much juice or soda. She tells me her potty tush hurts and I ask what she has been eating and drinking and we always seem to narrow it down to too little water- Hope this helps.

stephs_3_kidz responded:
Hi, emmi..

My 6yo DD has had the same problem. The dr gave her some Nystatin to put on it (for yeast) but it burned. We ended up treating it with Vagisil (that's the one you put on the outside, correct?? I might be wrong.). I believe that's what we used. Anyway, it was for exterior itching.

Maybe ask the pedi about doing that?

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
It could be a yeast infection. The monistat cream would help in that case. You might want to try adding a bit of vinegar to the bath water.

Definitely use perfume/dye free laundry detergent. Make sure she wipes front to back. Check for pinworms. Also get her checked for a bacterial infection.

Try to break the digging/scratching/pulling habit.

ckrucksen replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
HI LOUISE
ITS INTERESTING THAT YOU WOULD MENTION VINEGAR.WE ALSO HAVE A 6YR OLD DAUGHTER ,SHE HAS AN HISTORY OF URINARY TRACK INFECTIONS AND ALSO HAS HAD VAGINITIS A FEW TIMES.OUR POOR BABY GET SO IRRITATED ON HER PRIVATE AREA WE FEEEL SO BAD FOR HER.WE WERE TOLD TO STOP THE BATH'S WITH BUBBLES .ALSO WE MAKE SURE SHE IS COMPLETELY DRY BEFORE SHE PUTS ON HER UNDERWARE.AS WE SPEAK SHE IS HAVING AN EPISODE WITH THE VAGINITIS.WE ARE TRYING ONCE AGAIN THE NYSTATIN IT IS BURNING,THE AVEENO BATHS ARE HELPING BUT NOT 100%TO GET TO THE VINEGAR,THERE IS A SOLUTION WE CAN SAY WORKS PRETTY WELL.IT IS DOMEBOROUGH,WHICH HAS VINEGAR IN IT.IT HAS HELPED OUR DAUGHTER ALMOST IMMEDIATELY.JUST WANTED TO SEE OTHER THAN WHAT I HAVE LISTED THERE IS ANY OTHER IDEAS OR SOLUTIONS THAT THERE MAY BE.I THINK AT THIS POINT WE PRETTY MUCH HAVE IT DOWN..GOOD LUCK TO THE OTHER PARENTS .

j9ween2 responded:
My DD had this last summer. We were letting her have too many showers & she wasn't getting clean enough. Her pedi suggested J&J baby shampoo in the water, splash around in that area & make sure it was really well rinsed. After the bath to put a mix of vaseline & cortisone cream on her.

lisa601106 responded:
I have a 5 year old stepdaughter and she is always complaining that her vagina hurts every time she comes from her moms house. Her mom keeps soda available in the fridge for my stepdaughter to drink at her convenience and also she drinks a lot of juice. When she comes to my house, I make her drink water and have her sit in a warm bath with a bout 2 cups of viniger in the water and when she goes home she's ok. I've also showd her how to clean herself correctly after she urinates and this all seems to help. The cream is only a temporary fix because it actually keeps bacteria and heat at the affected area and later on, it's the same or worse. I would try the bath with the vinegar in the water and let her sit there for about 10 minutes. I have my stepdaughter sit in the bath with her legs open and every coupkle of minutes I use this little bowl and pour the water on her vagina. Vinegar is natural and won't harm her in any way. Let me know how it works for you.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a full time mom, wife and employee. I have two beautiful children 6(boy) and 8 (girl). We live in the beautiful Poconos of PA.

Helpful Tips

Emoticon List
Old time emoticon list below with some notes You may see them sometimes even in Internet Explorer 6 when in a thread.. But IE6 isn't ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.