Skip to content
Backwards fever???
kamperkatie posted:
My sisters dr told her that my niece has something called a backward fever??? Has ANYONE ever heard of such a thing??? My nieces' doctor said she runs a backward fever...cause she said she has a hurting kidney and her temp is 97 and I told my sister she has no fever then and she said the dr told her my niece runs a backward fever..........

A dr full of c r a p???? or a real condition???

unknown responded:
I have never heard of backward fever and a quick search of the internet came up with nothing. But a low body temperature can happen when you are sick too so I can see why the doctor might call it that. Instead of her temp rising, it is going down. Of course really a temp of 97 isn't that low. My normal temp is ususally 96 or 97. At 97 she doesn't have a "fever" but I guess if the doctor knows she has a kidney problem (which could cause a lower temp as well could a thyroid problem) then he may be wanting to watch her lower temperature.

An_250624 responded:
Yes, I have heard of this. My mother, when ever she gets really sick, her temperature does not go up, it will go the opposite way. If she has a temperature of 96ish or lower, she will generally go to the doctors or stay at home and stay in the bed. she is one of the only people that I have ever heard of this happening to, but her doctor agrees with her, and calls it a 'backwards fever'.

mrswhitecastle replied to An_250624's response:
I know this is a really old post, but that is interesting. 2 years ago, my DD had double pneumonia. Her temp would drop to 95* or less, and had all of us, including her pedi, a bit worried.
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a full time mom, wife and employee. I have two beautiful children 6(boy) and 8 (girl). We live in the beautiful Poconos of PA.

Helpful Tips

Cut the School Morning Rush
Rushing my kids comes to no good end. They get slower. Things get forgotten. The more we rush-the later and more stressed the morning ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.