Skip to content
Backwards fever???
kamperkatie posted:
My sisters dr told her that my niece has something called a backward fever??? Has ANYONE ever heard of such a thing??? My nieces' doctor said she runs a backward fever...cause she said she has a hurting kidney and her temp is 97 and I told my sister she has no fever then and she said the dr told her my niece runs a backward fever..........

A dr full of c r a p???? or a real condition???

unknown responded:
I have never heard of backward fever and a quick search of the internet came up with nothing. But a low body temperature can happen when you are sick too so I can see why the doctor might call it that. Instead of her temp rising, it is going down. Of course really a temp of 97 isn't that low. My normal temp is ususally 96 or 97. At 97 she doesn't have a "fever" but I guess if the doctor knows she has a kidney problem (which could cause a lower temp as well could a thyroid problem) then he may be wanting to watch her lower temperature.

An_250624 responded:
Yes, I have heard of this. My mother, when ever she gets really sick, her temperature does not go up, it will go the opposite way. If she has a temperature of 96ish or lower, she will generally go to the doctors or stay at home and stay in the bed. she is one of the only people that I have ever heard of this happening to, but her doctor agrees with her, and calls it a 'backwards fever'.

mrswhitecastle replied to An_250624's response:
I know this is a really old post, but that is interesting. 2 years ago, my DD had double pneumonia. Her temp would drop to 95* or less, and had all of us, including her pedi, a bit worried.
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a full time mom, wife and employee. I have two beautiful children 6(boy) and 8 (girl). We live in the beautiful Poconos of PA.

Helpful Tips

Emoticon List
Old time emoticon list below with some notes You may see them sometimes even in Internet Explorer 6 when in a thread.. But IE6 isn't ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 24 found this helpful