Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Any skiers out there?
kc_94920 posted:
DD is 7 now and started skiing last fall. She's been several times throughout the season and has taken to the sport like a champ. Last weekend her instructor mentioned it was probably about time to get her poles and to be honest, it shocked me, as I originally thought we'd wait a season or even two.

If you yourself ski or your kids ski, when did you get/give them poles? I worry about them distracting her and of course her losing them or dropping them on the chair lift.

TIA.

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
No skiing here-at least not with young children and only once on my own.

You might also want to ask on our Fitness Exchange

fcl responded:
My daughter is 7 and she uses poles. I'd trust the instructor on this - the ones who teach children do so all the time and know what they're talking about. Your daughter isn't going to be able to progress much more without poles... There is only so much you can learn without them.

I've seen 5 year olds with poles ... and dealing with them quite proficiently. Your daughter won't be distracted by them because very quickly she'll need them. They serve a purpose. As for dropping them on the chair lift ... she'll always be accompanied by an adult and on the chair lift, the instructors (here, at least) take all the poles before anyone gets on. Yes, she might lose them BUT as they're part of skiing and as they're not easy to miss she probably won't. Does she lose her gloves a lot?

Hope I've reassured you a bit

Spotlight: Member Stories

My Name is Norma. I am a working mother of a 7 year old son named A.J. He is the light of my life. I have been blessed with a very handsome son who ha...More

Helpful Tips

Emoticon List
Old time emoticon list below with some notes You may see them sometimes even in Internet Explorer 6 when in a thread.. But IE6 isn't ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.